Sticky piston ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have just obtained an old saw that I am trying to get in shape.

It starts and runs. However, I am taking it apart slowly and noticed that i may be a little low on compression? I really don't know.

When looking through the exhaust, it has NO scratches , but looks like the piston ring may be not as free as it could be . I can push it around with a small screwdriver, but it looks like it is sticky.

Is there anything that you would recommend to dump in the thing to break up the old sticky gas?

I know nothing about your "DROP TEST" but if I hang on to the pull rope it will move about 1 revolution per second.

one thousand one, it goes putt!!! one thousand two putt!!!. about five and it is on the floor. It is kind of heavy

I am considering squirtin something in to disolve the old gas. I have PBBlaster, Kroil, Carb cleaner. etc. Any suggestions?

thanks

Howdy Daemon 2525,

Now your not trying to rotate that ring are you? A friend told me that you should not rotate the rings around the piston because they wear/seat and it will mess up your compression or something like that. I'm not a mechanic though so maybe they drift around when the engine is running, i dont know, I just dont try to rotate them. But what the heck my piston is so burnt up you probably could not rotate the ring if you wanted to. Still going though.

v/r

Mike

Nope!. I just touched it enough to see if it would move.

I did consider rotating it though. Thanks for the tip!

I will wait for more answers, however, I think that there must be something stronger to use than wd40.

I need to disolve some dark sticky old gas.

thanks!!!!!!

Seafoam!!

Seafoam. The regular stuff, not Deep Creep.

If your local autozone/pep boys/whatever doesn't have it, go to a marine/outboard store. Amazing stuff.

The rings are pinned to keep them from rotating, you can try all day and they wont go roundy round.

Seafoam is good, the PB may be better. On big heavy saws I dont hold much faith in the drop test, JMO.

Try this, wet the ring somewhat and shine a light on it. Now rotate the flywheel back and forth a slight amount. The oil/fuel/spray you wet the ring with will squish back and forth a tiny amount and youll be able to see it alternate from the top to the bottom of the ring.

If you dont see any squishing it may be stuck.

Back