Stihl 015 versions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKreider89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Help! I just bought a Stihl 015. I assumed it was a 015av but after looking at the sticker closer, I don’t think it is. What other versions did they have for the 015? I know of the 015L, but this sticker looks like 015B. I’ll post a picture for reference. The serial number is 56679141. Where else can I look on the saw for the model?

ThanksEEB603A3-4D5E-42B2-9197-F8974261C265.jpeg

We had 2 or 3 of them back in the 70's and 80's. Last one was an L, with the chain brake. I don't recall anything other than 015 on the ones without chain brake (the older ones).

Tim

Google for Stihl 015R. There is info out there but the jerks who run this site make it too annoying, in an idiotically childish way, to post links to other helpful sources of information.
Is that off chainsawcollectorsse forum?
Copied stihl#1 post
" I found a guy still working at the plant that remembered something about the R meaning it was an experiment to try some with a bigger piston for more power. So I pulled the muffler on an 015 in the museum and measured the bore and it is 38 mm like the IPL says it should be.
SO then I measure the bore on the R model and sure enough it is 1 mm bigger at 39 mm. No tech bulletins, no part numbers for the bigger cylinder and piston, just a small trial run so that makes these pretty rare in my book. I have only ever seen one other, last year, and that saw came from a guy who retired from STIHL after 40+ years so he got it off the assembly line when it was new.
The other really weird thing about this saw is that it has this funny bracket looking part cast into the front cover:"

Is that off chainsawcollectorsse forum?
Copied stihl#1 post
" I found a guy still working at the plant that remembered something about the R meaning it was an experiment to try some with a bigger piston for more power. So I pulled the muffler on an 015 in the museum and measured the bore and it is 38 mm like the IPL says it should be.
SO then I measure the bore on the R model and sure enough it is 1 mm bigger at 39 mm. No tech bulletins, no part numbers for the bigger cylinder and piston, just a small trial run so that makes these pretty rare in my book. I have only ever seen one other, last year, and that saw came from a guy who retired from STIHL after 40+ years so he got it off the assembly line when it was new.
The other really weird thing about this saw is that it has this funny bracket looking part cast into the front cover:"
Yeah, that's the one:Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.26.47 PM.png

So are they any more collectible/valuable? From what I gathered a decent running 015 brings around $150. Would this “version” be more? Also could someone run the serial number for me?

And from what I understand, the only difference is that the bore is bigger? Any other differences??

Latest posts

Back