stihl 017 manifold flange removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hboy43

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello People:

I thought I'd check with the experts before I get REALLY pissed and break something.

I am almost there, the AV mount (or more correctly the hole where the AV mount goes) trapped by the engine is almost accessible, I just need to get the engine out.

Sure is a bunch of work to install a $8 at retail AV mount, which is probably 10 cents coming out of the mold in the factory! I am beginning to think the chainsaw people invented the business model of selling the product at a loss and make your money on service, not the automobile people.

To get the engine out, I need to get the manifold flange out, but I just can't get it to move. If I could get a better grip on it, I'd probably tear it.

The manuals says to simultaneously pull the engine out sideways and pull out the manifold flange. I don't really see this, seems to me that the engine is locked in place until the flange comes out.

I wonder if this is like a bicycle handlebar grip where it will move with a bit of methanol applied to the mating surfaces? Not knowing if the rubber (?) manifold flange will be attacked by methanol, I havn't tried it yet.

On a more general level, are all chainsaws this much of a PITA to work on? Is this the price of having a light machine? I'd go buy a MS260 in a heartbeat if it had some modularity that the 017 clearly is lacking. I suspect it really doesn't though, and the tradeoff of weight vs repairability is 100% in the weight camp. Maybe the only chainsaw that isn't a bear to maintain is a 2 man crosscut saw.

Thanks for any commentary.

Jonathan

Hi:

Well, I never made the catastrophic blunder and was cutting wood again today with my machine. I went at it to replace the top AV mount. Now that it is clean, as a bonus, it runs better too. Thanks to Grande Dog and daemon2525 for helping out with my overhaul questions.

hboy43

Latest posts

Back