Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay, So my trusty 025 is about due for a set of rings. Compression is about 125 psi. My question is should I just put new rings bearings and seals or purchase a whole kit from HyWay. If I purchase the kit with the new cylinder that has a larger bore than the original, will I need new bolts to bolt the cylinder to the frame? I have read that the original cylinder with new rings may have better performance than the new kit. The difference in bore size is only .5mm. The original cylinder has a mild scratch on the intake side of the cylinder. I am leaning towards the Hyway kit but a definitive decision has yet to be determined. Thank, Ken

Do you rely on it heavily and is it the only one you have? If so give it a once over.

If it’s running good and you aren’t on a 1 saw plan just give it new rings. Save your money and keep oem where you can.
1 saw plan? I wish. I'm a victim of the CAD club. I do not rely on it heavily but it is used quite a bit on my 4 wheeler. Last count was 9 saws. 3 Echos, 1 Shindiawa, 1 Poulan 1Husky, 3 Stihls. Thanks for the information.

Okay, So my trusty 025 is about due for a set of rings. Compression is about 125 psi. My question is should I just put new rings bearings and seals or purchase a whole kit from HyWay. If I purchase the kit with the new cylinder that has a larger bore than the original, will I need new bolts to bolt the cylinder to the frame? I have read that the original cylinder with new rings may have better performance than the new kit. The difference in bore size is only .5mm. The original cylinder has a mild scratch on the intake side of the cylinder. I am leaning towards the Hyway kit but a definitive decision has yet to be determined. Thank, Ken
Is the intake scratch above or below the port? Got any photos?

OEM is always better than AM especially on a small motor. When you pull it apart check the current ring end gap and also check the piston skirt clearance in the bore. You may also need a new piston if the rings are that worn.

Bearings can be reused if in good condition. Again I would use OEM seals and Dirko to put everything back together.

Is the intake scratch above or below the port? Got any photos?

OEM is always better than AM especially on a small motor. When you pull it apart check the current ring end gap and also check the piston skirt clearance in the bore. You may also need a new piston if the rings are that worn.

Bearings can be reused if in good condition. Again I would use OEM seals and Dirko to put everything back together.
The scratch is above the intake port. Sorry no pictures. I have reason to suspect that this is the reason for my lower compression readings.

In that case I would get a good used OEM jug / P&C off of Ebay.
Steve, I will not purchase any type of engine part from Ebay.I was burnt one before for over $175 and will not do this again. How do I know if the cylinder is better or worse than the one I have? I thank you for the thought. Ken

Steve, I will not purchase any type of engine part from Ebay.I was burnt one before for over $175 and will not do this again. How do I know if the cylinder is better or worse than the one I have? I thank you for the thought. Ken
Well, if the item is advertised to be in good, reusable (i.e. Used) condition and it shows up as trashed (i.e Not As Described) you simply send it back at the sellers expense for a full refund. If the seller won't cooperate open a case with Ebay. You have 30 day return window. Undescribed (but readily seen) defects are another reason for a return. I bought a camera once and it arrived with a scratched lens... went back next day.

Reputable sellers should have decent photos and you can always ask for more. I have bought a lot of used parts on Ebay and only had issues a couple of times but never lost money. 025s and MS250s (same engine) are quite high production and good used parts should be plentiful.

The bolt pattern is common to every jug kit sold.......if you love this 025 beyond $100 and your anxious for a weekend on the bench......get a Meteor Kit. NOS OEM is gold...

Latest posts

Back