Stihl 026, 260, 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 260 pro and I think its absolutely my favorite saw. I've ran a 261 and I've got a 562xp, but there's just something about the 260 that makes me want to pick it up first. Perfect balance with 16" bar, very light, starts on one pull after its warm. I think it would be the last saw I ever sell. Its definitely not as strong as the 261 but I prefer it

The MS 261 C-M came along in fall '13. I have both the MS 260 PRO and MS 261 C-M VW, and will likely never get rid of either of them. As said before, totally different saws, but they're both great!

The MS 261 C-M came along in fall '13. I have both the MS 260 PRO and MS 261 C-M VW, and will likely never get rid of either of them. As said before, totally different saws, but they're both great!
And the MTronic is mod friendly? I'm new to this type. I'm gonna want to MM and drop cylinder. From what I understand it will tune itself?

I've often been told that Stihl engineers redesigned the 028av Super, knocked a pound or two off of it, gave it the same horsepower, and called it the 026 Pro. However, other things were done also. Regardless, they succeeded in making one of the lightest and yet strongest saws on the market. I just bought an 18" bar for it, and I'm running .325" pitch chain.

Smoothest running saw in my arsenal and perhaps the best part is that it's dependable and predictable. I'd love to say that about my old 025, but I cannot as I have mentioned in several threads. Sitting side-by-side with my MS361, I have a great equipment combination and rarely have to pull out anything bigger.

The 026 is 44mm. The MS260 is 44.7mm. There have been changes to the tank vent, air filter, fuel line diameter, etc.

Not all the 260s were 44.7mm, but most US sold ones were. Those saws also had a lower power rating than the original 44mm ones. This was an EPA thing, and one point was to get the cc over 50, as it meant easier to comply with EPA regulations. More restricted mufflers were part of that EPA "package" as well.

I love my 026. It's my first saw and I just bought it at a pawn shop. Got a great deal on it and thanks to many of you guys on here I was able to get it set up with a perfect b&c. I'm goibg to do my first cut this coming week. Now I just need to adjust carb I think because it dies while at idle. She is a beauty though with a psi of 160!:)

I own an 026 Pro. It starts and runs perfectly. Balance is excellent. Power is excellent. I have no idea why I failed to buy one 14 years ago. I'm glad I own one today and as much as I use it as my #1 firewood saw, I doubt I will ever wear it out. This saw is a keeper forever.
In my case I always thought they were too small, but as the years roll on I'm selling the tanks in favor of smaller saws

I have a woods ported 026PRO. It won't win any cookie cutting contests with another ported 3 cube saw but it is a sweetheart in the woods. Couldn't be any more perfect for limbing.

I run a 16" bar and regular 3/8" RS chain. It was 20" .325 RS when I got it.

I have a woods ported 026PRO. It won't win any cookie cutting contests with another ported 3 cube saw but it is a sweetheart in the woods. Couldn't be any more perfect for limbing.

I run a 16" bar and regular 3/8" RS chain. It was 20" .325 RS when I got it.
Actually, I have watched 026 Pro's win cookie cutting contests at several GTG's. Entered in the under-60 cc class, these saws (and the MS260/261) usually win when the 361 and 362 are screened out. It's the chain condition that counts the most.

Back