Stihl 026 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmers036

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I’ve got the cylinder off of my 026 and was thinking about swapping to a 44.7 top end and porting the 44.7 cylinder but I was wondering if anyone has had much improvement over the stock 44mm 026 top end? Or should I just port the stock 44mm?

You’re better off porting stock cylinder because the casting and overall performance are better than a aftermarket 44 or 44.7 mm top end. That goes for any top end. Especially the farmertec, Amazon, eBay. If going aftermarket Hyway or meteor cylinders are best option. I just got a 026 with a bad top end. The bad top end was a 25-30 dollar top end kit and the circle clip let loose on the previous owner. So I got it for 50 bucks. Got another cheapo top end. 44.7. But I ported the heck out of it along with modifying the piston some. Out the box the ports needed chamfering badly.

You’re better off porting stock cylinder because the casting and overall performance are better than a aftermarket 44 or 44.7 mm top end. That goes for any top end. Especially the farmertec, Amazon, eBay. If going aftermarket Hyway or meteor cylinders are best option. I just got a 026 with a bad top end. The bad top end was a 25-30 dollar top end kit and the circle clip let loose on the previous owner. So I got it for 50 bucks. Got another cheapo top end. 44.7. But I ported the heck out of it along with modifying the piston some. Out the box the ports needed chamfering badly.
Thanks for the info I went ahead and ported my stock 026 cylinder ordered a 194 walbro because someone decided to screw my low screw in too far and now my old 194 carb on the saw won’t run well I can’t get it to idle for anything so I’m waiting on the new 194 to get here to start playing

Latest posts

Back