Stihl 026 Flooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzerbe

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been visiting this site for quite a while as a guest and have always found the information contained in the posts to be extremely useful and have invariably been able to use the information to troubleshoot issues.
I've recently joined the site to post a question regarding my Stihl 026 saw that is flooding.
I realize there are a bunch of threads currently regarding this same issue and have read all of them prior to posting another Stihl 026 flooding thread. Unfortunately, the recommendations that have resolved other members' flooding issues have not worked on my saw.

Symptom: Saw will sometimes fire with a fresh spark plug and run for a few seconds before fouling the spark plug. Attempts to restart the saw result in fuel dripping from the muffler.

I rebuilt the carb with a factory walbro kit making sure to install the gaskets on the pump and metering side correctly and adjusted the hi and lo circuits at 1 turn out. Checked the welch plug for leaks and checked the metering lever adjustment. Also, replaced the fuel line, impulse line and air filter/choke assembly with factory parts.
Inspected intake boot for cracks and found none. No difference.

Pulled the flywheel to inspect the shear key which was intact.

The coil lead was in rough condition and the spark appeared to be somewhat weak so I replaced the coil with an aftermarket unit which I installed to the factory coil air gap spec. Nice bright blue spark however, no difference.

Lifted the leads from the coil to isolate any potential issues with the coil grounding circuit. No difference.

Replaced the carb with a brand new factory unit. No difference.

Removed the muffler to check for obstructions/fouling and cylinder scoring and found none.
The saw has well over 100 psi compression.

I'm completely stumped. I'm skeptical of the aftermarket coil. Would reinstall the original, factory coil to test but misplaced it.
Curious if anyone has experienced issues with aftermarket coils and if it's worth pursuing this path?
Any additional insights, information, recommendations, etc. anyone would mind sharing are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Latest posts

Back