Stihl 026 Mufflers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ford832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just becuase I found it kind of interesting.My old 026 was the best part of 20 yrs old,my fathers-about 9,my bro in laws probably 7 or so.(I may be a little off here)My muffler had a "box" about 1" square at the exhaust port inlet to the muffler that was solid forward but had small holes in the sides.My fathers was similar but had larger holes and holes in the forward portion of the "box" as well.I had my bro-in-laws apart last week becuase it quit running and his muffler has no box at all,just wide open into the muffler.The front portion of the muffler I would say was identical on all three.I noticed on their newer models they had a clear tank,different tank vent and body shape.Both had a rubber plug in the top plastic cover for a compression release but my fathers had a standard cylinder cover while my bro in laws had a threaded plug so a release could have been retro-fitted.Was anything else much changed internally on these before they went to the 260?Just kind of curious as I always thought they were pretty much the same.Thanks,

AF

On another note,I lent him the 500 while I was working on his Stihl and although I keep calling and emailing him to tell him his is done I can't get a response and he doesn't return my calls.What's up with that???????

Last edited:
There were also three different oil pumps, adjusible older with different clutch drum on the -PRO, and 4 different muffler fronts (holes inside changed to smaller and smaller), 3 tank vents and 2 air fiters, and 5 carbs (USA), ad more.. Long production life, many small changes..

Not new.. The WT426 and the WTE-xx are available from Stihl. Lot's of used carbs around of all types.

You can get the WT194-1 direct from Walbro though.. the best carb for all the models anyhow..

On another note,I lent him the 500 while I was working on his Stihl and although I keep calling and emailing him to tell him his is done I can't get a response and he doesn't return my calls.What's up with that???????

Probably a better saw, but in fact an even older design.........:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lakeside53 said:
You can get the WT194-1 direct from Walbro though.. the best carb for all the models anyhow..

Good call there, but also the Tillotson HU off of an early 024 makes a great running modified MS-260 too! The Tillotson has great acceleration characteristics.

Latest posts

Back