Stihl 026 P&C replacement...need recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad2185

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im about to dive into my 026 and replace the piston and cylinder. I was on ebay checking out prices. I came across a used OEM Mahle P&C. Seller claims it has 150-155 psi. No pics of compression test though. They also say that there is lite scoring on cylinder and piston but can not be felt with finger. Not real sure if it would be a good buy? Im leary about going aftermarket...like to stay OEM if possible but the prices are extremly tempting considering all you can get in the kit. Does anyone have recommendations on a aftermarket company thats has decent quailty parts?
Heres the ebay auction link
Stihl MS 260 Mahle Cylinder Head Jug Piston Kit 44 7 mm MS260 026 1121 | eBay

Is your cylinder junk? If not clean it up an install an OE piston and rings.

Would make a cool paper weight if nothing else. :msp_smile:

I'd stick to OEM. As long as the cylinder isn't scored, it'll be fine. I'd definitely replace the rings with either OEM, or Cabers. Avoid after markets, if you can. No point in saving only $25, or so, and risk the cylinder lining flaking off soon after the rebuild.

Is your cylinder junk? If not clean it up an install an OE piston and rings.

Would make a cool paper weight if nothing else. :msp_smile:

The cylinder looks good on the intake side. I see some good scoring on the exhaust side of the piston tho. It makes me wonder what the cylinder wall looks like on the exhaust side. Maybe a muriatic acid bath will clean it up? Then just go with a OE piston and ring....Oh, its blowin about 90psi on the compression but I can not get it to run at all! Plus this 026 only has 1 needle adjustment screw!?

The piston on evilbay is from a ms260 it has a larger bore.. have you checked chainsawr. at the top of the page

Ahh, didnt know there was a difference. Thanks for pointing that out!! I have not checked chainsawr yet. He always seems to be "out of stock" on everything I need. I give up looking there sometimes.I will pay him a visit tho.

At 90 PSI it will never start. If the intake is OK then the problem is on the exhaust side. Take some pics and post up. The experienced builders will let you know if the cylinder is salvageable.

BTW. What was the cause of the PSI drop? Straight gassed?

At 90 PSI it will never start. If the intake is OK then the problem is on the exhaust side. Take some pics and post up. The experienced builders will let you know if the cylinder is salvageable.

BTW. What was the cause of the PSI drop? Straight gassed?

Im not sure. Picked it up at my local saw shop. It was a trade in on a new saw purchase. Im in good with the owner so he holds any stihl's or husky's that come in as trade ins. I never got the story on this one, but I would assume it was leaned out to much or poor mix? Its either those 2 problems or straight gassed. I will tear down and hopefully post pics of a salvagable cylinder??

I believe the OEM ms260 Ebay option would be the best option, especially since there's two of them offered for less than $60 with piston. Anyone know for sure if it should bolt right up?

Option 1- clean up your cylinder and use a Meteor piston

Option 2- get the 260 Ebay P/C and a Meteor piston

I would want some better pics of the Ebay P/C bf I dropped coin on it. I see something on the on the intake pics. If it's just transfer then it's no big deal. If it's flaking, then I would pass.

Option 3- post in the Swap Meet thread that you are looking for an 026/260 cylinder. Then get a Meteor kit.

Personally, I would go for #1 first and #3 as a second option.

Option 1- clean up your cylinder and use a Meteor piston

Option 2- get the 260 Ebay P/C and a Meteor piston

I would want some better pics of the Ebay P/C bf I dropped coin on it. I see something on the on the intake pics. If it's just transfer then it's no big deal. If it's flaking, then I would pass.

Option 3- post in the Swap Meet thread that you are looking for an 026/260 cylinder. Then get a Meteor kit.

Personally, I would go for #1 first and #3 as a second option.

+1

That said, I did use a NWP 44.7mm kit on my first 026 rebuild several years ago and it has held up well...., but that was before I knew how to clean up a cylinder with marginal aluminum transfer. My second one was a cylinder cleanup job with a Meteor and it has held up well, too....and would be the way I'd go again primarily for the piston quality and the fact that Meteors come with Caber rings.

Latest posts

Back