Stihl 026 Pro Closet Find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to start a fuel mix war here, but in all of my years of owning O P E (55 yrs.) I've never worried about retuning a machine when going back and forth from pump gas to canned fuel.

Octane hasn't even played a part in it for me. My O P E has always run fine. Other than hard-starting at times when cold, that's all I've dealt with. And, that seems to be somewhat prevalent with small two-strokes.

I run 40:1 mix in all of my O P E, and have for a very long time. No engines issues what-so-ever. I've never seized any two-stroke.

Maybe I've just been lucky so far. But then again, maybe it's just not all that necessary to retune every time a dark cloud passes by overhead.

Very nice saw, enjoy it.
Many suggestion here...I have one for you.
Buy one can of Kroil penetration oil, take the plug out and spray in with the piston in the bottom.
After that pool the rope 4-5 times and let it stay for 24 hours. This will help lose the rings and clean the piston, cylinder etc.
MT the gas and start with fresh one 40 to 1 And try to start.
Here is the Kroil:
2168Equipupstore_Kano_Equipupstore_Kano_Aerokroil_10oz..jpg

Very nice saw, enjoy it.
Many suggestion here...I have one for you.
Buy one can of Kroil penetration oil, take the plug out and spray in with the piston in the bottom.
After that pool the rope 4-5 times and let it stay for 24 hours. This will help lose the rings and clean the piston, cylinder etc.
MT the gas and start with fresh one 40 to 1 And try to start.
Here is the Kroil:
2168Equipupstore_Kano_Equipupstore_Kano_Aerokroil_10oz..jpg

I'd like to try some of that and keep a can on hand.

Where can you buy it? NAPA or Walmart?

Here are some pics from this morning. Didn't have time to start it before work. You can see on the third photo the protective liner on the 026 label.
Now, if it were just mine...

Wait a minute, I already have two of these, and both run like bandits. The other day I tried running one with a new 18" bar. As feared, it pulled it with practically no hesitation while cutting elm firewood. Of course, I could replace it by dropping $650 on an MS261.

Here are some pics from this morning. Didn't have time to start it before work. You can see on the third photo the protective liner on the 026 label.
Wow super clean, nice score

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kano Laboratories sells that stuff direct. I don't think that it is needed for this saw, but it is a good penetrating oil.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Philbert

Kroil is good stuff. I bought a gallon years ago, mostly gone. Prices ok but shipping hurts.

Now I use mostly the 50/50 ATF and Acetone mix from the machinist magazine test. Has to be kept in sealed metal can and hard to apply compared to aerosol, but I think it works better than Kroil, and Kroil is way better than about anything else I've used like PB BLaster, Liquid Wrench, etc.

I'd like to try some of that and keep a can on hand.

Where can you buy it? NAPA or Walmart?
You can get it from eBay. I got it from there.
Best price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/152304758103?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Kroil is good stuff. I bought a gallon years ago, mostly gone. Prices ok but shipping hurts.

Now I use mostly the 50/50 ATF and Acetone mix from the machinist magazine test. Has to be kept in sealed metal can and hard to apply compared to aerosol, but I think it works better than Kroil, and Kroil is way better than about anything else I've used like PB BLaster, Liquid Wrench, etc.
No, its not better. Don't come close to Kroil.
I do try last year and don't work like Kroil do. sorry.

So, what'd that little old lady make you pay for that cherry 026?
She was stuck on $295. Said she paid just over $400 and it was only used for a cut or two. I couldn't get her down even a penny. I knew it was special so agreed to her asking price. Toughest Craiglist seller ever...haha.

We have lift off! Filled her with motomix and bar oil. Put on full choke. Slowly pulled recoil and felt smooth as butter so gave it a tug. Third pull tried to start and 5th took off running. Cut an oak cookie and turned it off. Ran awesome. Only thing I noticed was some gas coming out of gas cap. I'm not familiar with the older style caps. Seemed like the center spun independent of threads. Any suggestions? Btw: I'm totally stoked on this find!

FL. I am jealous. I had to work hard for my 2 026's.
Actually, I bought my 1st one new way back in 1994. 23 years later it still wears it's "protective liner" on the 026 label. My 2nd one I got off ebay but drove from Md to PA to meet the guy in person to inspect the saw and talked him down due to my needing to rebuild a scored top end.
The hard work part on my original saw came when I hadn't used it much and in order to get it running well again, I had to right the wrongs crappy ethanol did to the saw.
Good news is the piston and cylinder are smooth and free of score marks that occur from lean running, straight gas use whether intentional or accidental, and good compression. To see the condition of the piston and cylinder, I removed the muffler to look inside jug( good tip passed on from the forum when buying used saws)
I see your question about mixed fuel thru spark plug hole and other suggestions of WD40 etc. My opinion is it can't hurt to have some good oiling inside a saw combustion chamber prior to starting one that has sat awhile. I see you said you fired it up already so this is just FYI if other people see this while seeking advice . I think the suggestion to replace the fuel line and impulse line is a good one if the saw lived any time with the use of fuel with ethanol in it. I believe this is all that was wrong with my saw that made it fail to run properly. The lines get gooey, or brittle or constricted or cracked etc thus making a fuel delivery problem and thus a poor running if running at all saw. A saw won't run if there are air leaks in the system like can occur with cracked fuel lines or even ones where the ends don't fit tightly around the nipples on the carb or nipple to the crankcase. Also, research the forum and find mention of a secondary source of leaks. This being at the crank seals.
(A number of good posts have been made that explain how these leak due to drying out or wearing out over time) There are many videos on you tube for how to test saws for pressure and vac test for leaks.
Without getting too involved since you say the saw has limited use, I'd do as others said. Empty any fuel left in it, then for safety sake of not "ingesting" any detrimental aged rubber or other contaminants I'd go ahead and replace fuel and impulse lines then refuel and conservatively pull starter a number of times to lube cylinder walls and then see if she'll fire up.

All the above is cheap insurance. Also make sure the air filter is clean before starting. If it doesn't start easily after replacing the lines, I'd either put a new carb or carb rebuild kit in if you are skilled enough to do that. In my opinion it is not entirely necessary to rebuild carb if it fires up.

I put new "canned" non ethanol mixed gas in my old saw, and it runs great. I now vow never to use anything but NON ethanol fuel/oil mix in All my equipment!!!!!!.
It may be more expensive, but it is cheap insurance to ensure a long lasting Saw.

We have lift off! Filled her with motomix and bar oil. Put on full choke. Slowly pulled recoil and felt smooth as butter so gave it a tug. Third pull tried to start and 5th took off running. Cut an oak cookie and turned it off. Ran awesome. Only thing I noticed was some gas coming out of gas cap. I'm not familiar with the older style caps. Seemed like the center spun independent of threads. Any suggestions? Btw: I'm totally stoked on this find!

Happy to hear you got it running. It will serve you well for many years to come.

In regards to the gas cap, check the seal (rubber washer or O-ring) maybe? Myself, I'm not familiar with the older caps.

Just a tip! When you are done using it, dump all the fuel out and then start it back up and let it idle until it dies on it's own. When I say dump the fuel out, I don't mean throw it away. Mine just goes back into a sealed container. Store that saw in a climate-controlled environment and it will be happy as can be.

Latest posts

Back