Stihl 026 project mod help!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John C

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So i just picked up an 026 (non-pro). It is in excellent shape. Looks almost new. I was pretty excited about it when i saw the ad on craigslist. Grabbed it for $100. I cut trees for a living and recently starting buying antique and older saws and bringing them back to life. I have never taken a motor apart, but i am pretty mechanically inclined. Just never taken a chainsaw apart and put it back together. I have built a few mustangs for drag racing,

So heres my question, i would like to make this saw a project saw. Definitely a big-bore kit and muffler mod. Does anyone know of a website or anywhere i can find step by step instructions on changing it over? Also,where i can find quality parts for a good price? Im not rich by any means. The other issue with the saw is the sticker that is normally found on the bottom of the handle with the engine disp, serial num, etc is worn off and pretty much gone. Not that i need to know the size of the motor but i would like to know the year. The green sticker on the brake handle says copyright 1985 on the bottom left. Also, there is a small sticker on the handle that says "UL" with a circle around it, then it says "CHAINSAW" w/"311Y" below it. Under all that it says "LISTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARD SAFETY SPECIFICATIONS FOR GASOLINE POWERED CHAINSAWS (ANSI B 175.1-1985). Also written in tiny numbers and letters vertically on the side: 0000 967 4462b with a star after that. Then the only other numbers i can find are stamped on a little aluminum plaque on the body of the saw next to the muffler, on the bar side right below the brake handle. It reads: 220940849.

Thats pretty much all i got....i have all the drive in the world to do this project, just need a little guidance from all you chainsaw gurus on this site. This place is amazing. Every question ive asked, people have helped me out. Im new here and still learning how to use the site. Its pretty immense, and kind of confusing. Thanks everyone in advance. I will try to get some pics up very soon too.:msp_confused:

John
my email is [email protected]
Also, if anyone is local, i live in central Massachusetts...

I'm doing the same thing to my dads saw. The seals are shot and the saw has a little scoring. The cylinder to crankcase seal is out. If I have to replace that one I might as well rebuild the saw while I'm at it.

Latest posts

Back