Stihl 026 rebuild/upgrades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Last night my buddy gave me a Stihl 026 that was given to him it was straight gassed .
Think I will end up rebuilding it/modding they seem to be decent saws and free Stihls are not something that happens around here often.

What if any mods are their that can be done I am looking at the 44.7mm cylinder for it and most likely a muffler mod.

I’d also like to run 3/8 .063 gauge preferably who makes a bar that will work and I’d like a rim sprocket conversion.

Last night my buddy gave me a Stihl 026 that was given to him it was straight gassed .
Think I will end up rebuilding it/modding they seem to be decent saws and free Stihls are not something that happens around here often.

What if any mods are their that can be done I am looking at the 44.7mm cylinder for it and most likely a muffler mod.
See if you can clean up the transfer on cylinder. OEM is better quality than aftermarket, check trading post here if it's trashed.

Post some pictures of the saw as early ones are a little different than later ones (tanks/handle, air filters, tank vents...), and what the P/C look like.

Should be able to get a rim sprocket kit from Stihl or Oregon. Stihl only uses Stihl rims. Look for a 3003 008 6117 bar, I think that is shortest 3/8" 0.063 bar from Stihl 18". Probably other brands too.

Others here will know more about best mods for 026. @pioneerguy600 knows quite a bit. Just cleaning up the ports w/muf mod and base gasket delete should wake it up. And a carb with both Hi/Lo adjustments (Wt-194 or -426)

I wouldn't bother with the 3/8" even if i had 1,000,000,000,000 feet of it. Too aggressive for the 026. The sweet spot on a mild port job and dropping the squish to around .020-.025" has been an 16-18" .325 set up. Much faster in the cut and very smooth compared to a 3/8 set up. Even just a muff mod and dropping the squish band gives them a decent gain over stock. I will echo using a stock cylinder. Nothing wrong with a meteor piston and rings. Nachi bearings and oem seals/rubber components. Look out for worn air filter/ choke rod components. Makes them a deamon to start if either or has wear and the choke doesn't close all the way. There was something else that annoyed me about the one I had but I can't think of it off the top of my head. Hmm can't think of it. Should ask my old man, I ended up giving it to him when his 031av threw in the towel.

Will post pics when I can haven’t had a chance to fool with it much as I’m still trying to work out why my 08s is dumping fuel out of the throttle body. I only have 1 saw with a .325 set up and that’s my pioneer 1074 really would like to have chains common across the board but also have a few running 3/8lp. It’s old Stihl week my buddy who is starting a tree service and selling firewood on the side just picked up a Stihl 034 av and a 015l that he wants to use as a back up climbing saw.

Will post pics when I can haven’t had a chance to fool with it much as I’m still trying to work out why my 08s is dumping fuel out of the throttle body. I only have 1 saw with a .325 set up and that’s my pioneer 1074 really would like to have chains common across the board but also have a few running 3/8lp. It’s old Stihl week my buddy who is starting a tree service and selling firewood on the side just picked up a Stihl 034 av and a 015l that he wants to use as a back up climbing saw.
We can discuss your 026 mods through our open Pm if you ;like, I have a horde of 026 parts if you need anything.

Stihl does make a 16" 3/8 bar in .050, I have a bunch of them, not sure about .063, as it is not common here.
That's the setup I run on mine. If you have a Stihl clutch drum, you need a Stihl Mini spline sprocket, if it has an Oregon drum its standard Oregon Small.
My saw, which is ported pretty heavily and at .0165 squish is considerably faster in the cut with 3/8, the 3/8-7 sprocket rim is larger diameter than .325-7 so you get more chain speed.
I have been meaning to get a .325-8 for comparison purposes as I have a 16" 23RSPro NK setup for it, and while it will hold all the rpm in the world with it, the 3/8 just takes more of a bite.
3/8 wouldn't be my first choice on a stock, or close to stock saw though.

It has a good Stihl 18 inch bar that’s .325 idk what gauge though looks like maybe .063. I guess running .325 wouldn’t be all bad since the little 1074 runs that pitch currently.

Latest posts

Back