Stihl 026 Suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodeneye

Hardwood Hunter
Reaction score
A few months ago, my dad found a chainsaw along the highway. We notified the sheriff's dept. and dad asked everyone he knows up in that little town he works out of if they knew about a missing saw. No avail. So it seems it is ours. We looked it over, replaced a screw or two and epoxied the handle back together. Put it back together and it pulled awful hard. Our buddy likes to work on saws and owes my pops a favor so the 026 is at his place. Well he got it cranked one night, decided to go see if he could do it the next morning. Rope broke. Two more ropes later and he can't get it started again cuz it's just such a hard pull. Do you guys think it's the flywheel or key possibly? It had to take a jar on that road so I'm guessing it's out of timing. What would you do in this case? Piston looked great and other than pistons, rings, fuel lines, or occasional carb problems I've never seen too many problems with Stihls. Yhe saw is unmarked but I cross referenced a part number to 024 or 026. And this guy that's working on it was just sure it was an 026 or ms260. That leads me to believe it's an 026. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated: I now wish I had it here at home to work on myself but this saw kinda has Ryan buffaloed and he's determined to fix it. It's a good thing River Logger set me up with this ol' 55 Husky in the mean time.

Check to see if the coil worked loose.sounds like it fell off of the back of a truck.either that or it cracked the cages in the main bearings.they are made from plastic.

Haha, maybe I'll just inform Ryan and let him fool with that! Sounds like a winner to me. Hehe.
Sounds to me like the experience of tearing it down would be beneficial to you as you have "026 in progress" in your sig. Or is Ryan gonna fix that one too?

That's one and the same. You're right though, I could always do it: just been busy building a garage lately and he owed us a favor... Well you see how it went: haha

If it feels "notchy" with the plug in or out the bearing cages are broken.I would do a tear down.not to hard I'm sure we can walk ya thru it.

Thanks guys when I get it back it will either be a fixed and ready or I'll have to attempt some of your suggestions. If I need help, I will reply back. No sense worrying about a saw not in your possession. Thanks for all your replies. Was just gonna try and see if my dad could arm him with some helpful info, which I received. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back