Stihl 028 & 039 Comp Test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcummings

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is one for all you stihl tech's
I have a 028 and a 039 with a ton of wood miles on them. Both saws are in good condition. But they are starting to show there age. I took a comp test on the 028 It came up as 115lb cold and 100lb warm the 039 is 130 cold & 118 warm. I say warm because I just warmed the saws up without putting them under load so I would imagine they would drop farther if I put them under real working conditions. What I want to know is what is the normal psi range on these saws? If they are within there limits or should I think about re-building them or selling them on e-bay in like new condition like everybody else does. I love the 028 so I would love to refresh this saw. It was my grandpas so any info would be appreciated. TODD

"New" after a few tanks they show 150-165lb. Mid-life around 140-145. At 130 or less they become more difficult to start... and lack power. Are you sure you have a compression gauge with a Schrader valve right in the tip where it screws into the plug hole, 'cos if you don't it will read way low.

Those are both solid firewood saws. If they're in good condition, and have been taken care of, I'd throw a new set of rings in them and keep on truckin'. Rings wear. That's what they're supposed to do, and compression drops, otherwise, we'd all be changing whole pistons instead of just the rings. There's a guy on ebay selling a bunch of different rings. I just bought a set of new 056 Mag rings from him. That's JMO.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Thanks for the info guys I will definetely throw some rings in the 028. Any idea what the torque is on the cylinder? And lakeside you hit it right on the head the saw is definetely getting harder to start. Thanks again.

TODD

madcummings said:
Thanks for the info guys I will definetely throw some rings in the 028. Any idea what the torque is on the cylinder? And lakeside you hit it right on the head the saw is definetely getting harder to start. Thanks again.

TODD

About 8.8 ft lbs.

madcummings said:

TODD

todd,
have you installed the new rings? did you get expected improvements in compression/power? i have an 039 that has bout 115 compression and am contemplating new rings.

good day 1953greg

1953greg said:
todd,
have you installed the new rings? did you get expected improvements in compression/power? i have an 039 that has bout 115 compression and am contemplating new rings.

good day 1953greg
Sorry greg I haven't worked on the saw yet I've been cutting firewood like crazy now that the weathers been cold. I will get to it this spring when I have more time. I expect to have good results. Good luck with yours.

TODD

Latest posts

Back