• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 028 AV Super Wood Boss project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erik m.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have for sale a Stihl 028 AV Super Wood Boss that my dad has had for a long time. He bought it from his boss that used it for storm cleanup once. Then it sat unused until maybe 5 or 6 years ago when I used it to cut a few cords of firewood per year.

It is need of work. It starts up and runs good, but then once you stop it, it will not restart until it cools back off. Someone suggested that it might need a new coil, so I ordered a cheapo coil to see if that would fix it. No luck, it has the same problem, runs good, but won't restart.
plus now it will not turn off - so I apparently installed something incorrectly. Realizing that I do not know what I am doing I decided I better just buy a new saw.

I am asking $125 plus the shipping from my zip code 62263.
Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you
IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1349.JPG IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1353.JPG

Sorry the pictures are not bigger I took them with my daughter's Ipad Mini. I am trying to figure out how to get full sized pictures off of there.

The compression is reading just over 150lbs. I had to pull several pulls to get it up that high. I am not sure if that is how you are supposed to do it, or if you are supposed to get the reading from just one pull.

Yeah looks like a fair price both ways. There are lots of people on here who know the 028s like the back of their hand, and it might be no problem for them to fix. However if you put this saw, non running, on local Craigslist for $125 I think it might sit for awhile and then you'd have to deal with a bunch of low ballers.

Nice to see that many sellers on here are completely honest about the condition of the saw. Good luck to both the buyer and seller.

That saw WILL get used though not abused. I have a nice 16" "WoodBoss" .325 bar waiting for it. I have a low hours 028 super that was a gift from my mom new in 1986, but kinda wanted a WoodBoss version of it for the last couple of years. My 026 & MM 346 get the majority of 50cc work, however all of my saws get worked and NO shelf queens here.

I would have bought this saw, but I already have four that run flawlessly. Why Stihl ever discontinued them is beyond me. New fuel line and/or fuel filter may have solved OP's restarting problem. Or, it may have just needed a simple carb adjustment. Good luck, Sawfun.

Oh, and consider an outside bumper spike as a nifty add-on. You can get these rather cheaply and then grind the points to match up with the inside spikes:

I haven't had a chance to do more than look it over but it sure looks nice. I even have a new .325 × 16" Stihl "Woodboss" bar for it. Though I wish it were 18" as these saws do well with that size bar. I still have my 028 super that was given to me new in 1986. I gave an ugly but great runner to a good friend as a Christmas present a couple of years ago and he loves it. We like 028 supers and 026's. The 028 definitely has torque on the 026 but you can feel it's pound + weight on it too.

Agree on the 18" bar, which is ideal for this saw. Here's another shot of the same saw:

On occasion, it's nice to have some extra bar length. Yesterday I felled a tree with my MS361, cut a few rounds, and then switched to my 026 PRO for the rest. The 028 Super with the 18" bar could have handled all of it.

I may have to leave this thread because otherwise Erik will wish that he never sold it to you.

I may have to leave this thread because otherwise Erik will wish that he never sold it to you.
That is funny.
I am having so much fun with my new ripping Jonsered 2253 that I have no regrets. The Jonsered sure takes a different cutting technique - the 028 had gobs more torque, or so it seems to me. This Jonsered cuts faster but if you lean into it at all it stops pulling.

Erik, get it ported and then you will pick up the torque. I have a MM 346 and the main thing I noticed after porting was the increase in torque. Funny though, I enjoy running the 026 & 028 supers more.

Latest posts

Back