Stihl 028 super or AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The muffler you now have as shown in the pict. is a more modern Super muffler and no it does not have the threaded boss.

My plan is to use the muffler by tacking on some nuts per the previous posts. I am also going to drill some holes on the inside baffle. Should I cut out the louvers where the exhaust exits the muffler and find another sort of deflector to direct the exaust once the louvers are cut out?

My plan is to use the muffler by tacking on some nuts per the previous posts. I am also going to drill some holes on the inside baffle. Should I cut out the louvers where the exhaust exits the muffler and find another sort of deflector to direct the exaust once the louvers are cut out?

Good plan,..yes I make a 5/8" hole exit hole for the Supers and add a deflector that I make myself, I mig weld them on, just a couple of spot welds works fine, then retune the carb for proper operation.

Here are some pics. Not sure if I am going to mod the super muffler cover or this style. Need a few more bolts, there are never enough. It does run. I have not cut with it yet.

asset.php

asset.php

asset.php

New question. I ran the saw on Sunday and it was 30F outside. Fueled the saw and then did some other splitting and packed up. When I got the saw home there was some gas on the handle. Checked the tank and did not appear to be cracked. Took the air filter off and notice the breather tube was rotten. Replaced with tygon line and grub screw. Went to start on Wed evening and could not pull it over. Cylinder was full of gas. Pulled it over without the plug, reinserted plug and ran fine. Started today and ran fine. Is is possible for a gummed up breather hose to allow expanding fuel to push through the carb? I have run 6 tanks through it and not had an issue. Thoughts?

New question. I ran the saw on Sunday and it was 30F outside. Fueled the saw and then did some other splitting and packed up. When I got the saw home there was some gas on the handle. Checked the tank and did not appear to be cracked. Took the air filter off and notice the breather tube was rotten. Replaced with tygon line and grub screw. Went to start on Wed evening and could not pull it over. Cylinder was full of gas. Pulled it over without the plug, reinserted plug and ran fine. Started today and ran fine. Is is possible for a gummed up breather hose to allow expanding fuel to push through the carb? I have run 6 tanks through it and not had an issue. Thoughts?

The carb is designed to withstand 10-12 lbs of pressure on from the fuel tank side called pop off pressure. This is determined by the small spring found under the metering lever in the carb. To allow fuel from the tank to flood the engine/ crankcase full then the needle was off the seat or is defective, the needle valve is the only shutoff between the tank and the engine. The rotten tank vent hose would not cause the fuel to flood into the engine, it was allowing fuel to leak out of the tank onto the exterior of the saw.

The carb is designed to withstand 10-12 lbs of pressure on from the fuel tank side called pop off pressure. This is determined by the small spring found under the metering lever in the carb. To allow fuel from the tank to flood the engine/ crankcase full then the needle was off the seat or is defective, the needle valve is the only shutoff between the tank and the engine. The rotten tank vent hose would not cause the fuel to flood into the engine, it was allowing fuel to leak out of the tank onto the exterior of the saw.

I will tear the carb apart again to check the needle/seat/spring out. I was just wondering if it is possible for the expanding fuel to force its way up the fuel line if the vent was plugged but would not think any measurable amount though.

Re: squish, I just bolted my ported 46 mm Super cylinder & piston onto my old 42 mm Woodboss chassis. The squish, as checked by the solder-wire-taped to the piston crown method, was more than 0.020 with no gasket - just metal to metal.

So I bolted it down with Permatex Copper, but I haven't had a chance to mount the recoil, covers, etc. and fire it up.

I have read elsewhere on AS that a ported 028 Super can make some serious power for its size. Can't wait.

Re: squish, I just bolted my ported 46 mm Super cylinder & piston onto my old 42 mm Woodboss chassis. The squish, as checked by the solder-wire-taped to the piston crown method, was more than 0.020 with no gasket - just metal to metal.

So I bolted it down with Permatex Copper, but I haven't had a chance to mount the recoil, covers, etc. and fire it up.

I have read elsewhere on AS that a ported 028 Super can make some serious power for its size. Can't wait.

Great. Post some pics. I saw a 028 thread for that on here somewhere. I can't really tell much from my stihl 260 performace wise but mine is not ported.

Yes they can and if you get a good understanding of the port timing on them they can become quite snappy and a good all around saw.

Here are some pics. Not sure if I am going to mod the super muffler cover or this style. Need a few more bolts, there are never enough. It does run. I have not cut with it yet.

asset.php

asset.php

asset.php

Nice looking saw, I miss my 028super and wish I hadn't sold it. Now that I'm reading all these "porting" threads it makes me wonder what it would be like if it went "under the knife". Keep the information coming on your saw. I've enjoyed reading the thread.

Nice looking saw, I miss my 028super and wish I hadn't sold it. Now that I'm reading all these "porting" threads it makes me wonder what it would be like if it went "under the knife". Keep the information coming on your saw. I've enjoyed reading the thread.

Thanks for the encouragement.

These are probably the last pictures of the saw. A friend of mine wants to buy it Monday. I took the carb apart and did not see anything. I cleaned the threads out of the grub screw in the vent line and reassembled everything. I put the 3/4 heater hose on the handle. That was quite a workout. I used a grease that we use on truck tires otherwise it would have been impossible. Saw is running good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back