Stihl 028WB top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No timing issues, just swap it out, set your gap to flywheel and go!
simple and awesome. even if its just for a diagnostic tool. man that could save tons of "carb related" ghost issues (that were never carb related.)

The saw will run with just the coil swap but not as well as it should from my experience. In most cases it seems the timing if off just a tad on the ones I did and according to what I have read of others doing this swap. I cured my saws by putting on the newer flywheels.

got to imagine someone has figured out where to bump the key to, to get at least the same performance if not better....

thanks guys, got another tool in the box I never knew I had. :happybanana: and didn't even pay shipping for :dancing:

The saw will run with just the coil swap but not as well as it should from my experience. In most cases it seems the timing if off just a tad on the ones I did and according to what I have read of others doing this swap. I cured my saws by putting on the newer flywheels.

Jerry,
By saying "newer" are you meaning the correct 1127 flywheel that matches the coil ? or is it a newer 1118 saw...lord knows there was like nine version of that series

Jerry,
By saying "newer" are you meaning the correct 1127 flywheel that matches the coil ? or is it a newer 1118 saw...lord knows there was like nine version of that series

Should have posted, a flywheel from an electronic module saw. I just happen to have plenty of spares for the electronic module saws so I popped off the flywheel for the older points/condenser saws and installed flywheels from electronic module saws and the saw really woke up so I suspect there is a slight difference in the timing. Never took the time to set up a test to determine which way its off or by how much, takes more time than its worth when one has plenty of spare parts to just swap over both items.

sooo, should i be looking to purchase both the coil and the flywheel off a "burned up" 029/290?

Should have posted, a flywheel from an electronic module saw. I just happen to have plenty of spares for the electronic module saws so I popped off the flywheel for the older points/condenser saws and installed flywheels from electronic module saws and the saw really woke up so I suspect there is a slight difference in the timing. Never took the time to set up a test to determine which way its off or by how much, takes more time than its worth when one has plenty of spare parts to just swap over both items.

How simple is it to see differences between the keyways if they are side by side ? (crank is the same, so is stroke, so the timing differences would be easy to spot ??)
next time you are over near the wood boss pile give us a shout !!!!

and thanks for answering the "off the wall" questions !!!

sooo, should i be looking to purchase both the coil and the flywheel off a "burned up" 029/290?

unless I'm not following Jerry its the "later model" electronic version flywheel to match with the early condenser flywheel.

anybody else know with the 1127 flywheel/ coil combo works for the 028(1118) ?

Wow, guess this gets complicated when an old hand tries to relate things that are just so simple to them, to someone that is not into this stuff for an entire lifetime, my bad. The flywheel would need to be off a later 028 electronic ignition module saw that does not have points/condenser ignitions. The chainsaw, does not matter what model ie: Woodboss, Electronic Quickstop or whatever but a flywheel from any other make and model, like a 029 will not fit the crank stub. The ignition modules which many call coils ,incorrectly, are used on many of the Stihl saws including the 029, part # 0000 400 1300.

I see Harley posted while I was typing up my post, but I will still leave my post as is.

Yeah, sorry, but this has been beaten to death for more than a decade here... No need to worry about the old flywheel on the 028, just clip the wire to the points, wire in the kill switch, and go.

Not wanting to fight, but this topic has been beaten to death, and here in 2015, it is like the last 14 years never happened?
Hey, I for one appreciated the conversation! I have not been trying to fix chainsaws for the past however many years, so it was most educational. Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Latest posts

Back