Stihl 029 / 039 Air Filter & Velocity Stack Options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpankratz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 029 that is converted to an 039 top end. I love the saw and it cuts great but the air filter is crap and seems to always be plugged up, and choke the saw out. Has anyone put a velocity stack on these? How about the Max Flow Air filter setup?

The a/f isn't "crap". They seal as well as any Stihl filter, have enough surface area for the displacement and are easy to clean.
Why are they clogging so much? Fine saw dust?

The a/f isn't "crap". They seal as well as any Stihl filter, have enough surface area for the displacement and are easy to clean.
Why are they clogging so much? Fine saw dust?

They just seem to always be full. Maybe I'm running the wrong filter? There are 4 listed for the 039. Do you know which one I should be using?

Also there are threads on here that I have read about the filters needing to be cleaned every 2 hours or so, so I'm not the only one having these issues.

If a saw filter is loading up that fast you need to hit the cutters more often..and hit the filter with a brush at fuel ups and chain touchups if needed.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

What are you cutting? Thick bark softwoods, beetle dead Pine = lots of fine dust particles.
What filter are you using? Genuine OEM or Ebay aftermarket? Fleece or Fabric?
Which position is the "Winter" shutter and prefilter in?

Certain conditions will add to the fine particle loading- type of material being cut, dull chains, saw set up, missing parts........ but you are playing with some fairly old school design with the 029/39 family of saws and sometimes you have to recognise that taking off the filter and banging it on the palm of your hand now and then is all part of a routine that must be followed. Differing conditions will dictate how often this needs to be done.

Might be someone out there making velocity stack filter adapters, or Maxflows- that might help your situation, but they will clog up just the same if the correct situations occur- it might just take a little longer before you have to also clean those.

Latest posts

Back