• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 029 Woodboss cylinders $10 plus shipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I have some used Stihl 029 cylinders available. These have some transfer but will clean up. I upgraded these engines to the 49mm 039 so won't use them. I'll sell them for $10 each plus actual shipping cost. I have at least 4. I also have at least one 029 Super/MS290 cylinder.

Ok, buy the 4 029 cylinders and 1 029 super cylinder and I'll pay shipping. ie, 5 Stihl cylinders for $50 shipped. These are all usable (in my opinion).

Any of the 029/029 super/290/310/039/390 engines will swap into the other saw frames and engine cases.
That's correct. All engine parts are the same except the piston/cylinder and they're completely interchangeable. The plastics are interchangeable as well as long as you don't mix and match the O series and MS series.

Well, there are other minor differences as well. The 029, 029 Super and 290 have smaller jetted carbs compared to the 310/039/390. The 039/390 also has a heat shield included in the muffler gasket, and the 029/290/310 do not. The early 029 and 039 models have the more open style mufflers and the later ones are choked up. Some 310 and 390 saws have decamps and some do not. Also the rim drive was an option on these saws (same one as the 036 model) but most had/have spur sprockets. The plastic had some differences as mentioned above. The 0 models have the screw in oil and gas caps and the MS models have flippy caps. Some early 029 and 039 models had a screw twist locking AF cover and the later models have the lever twist locking AF cover. The later model carbs have limiter caps on them as well.

And to add to the mix, some of the early MS saws had the flat orange plastics shared with the O series. I never saw an MS310 with a decomp. Not saying they didn't make them, just never saw one. I've seen the MS390 with and without. On the mufflers, I've seen several variations of those regarding the amount of holes in them. They all look alike after they've been in my shop for a while.

Yes, it would benefit. The 029 is pretty anemic in power. You can get a whole carb, or just get the carb jet. It depends what carb you have though. There were several on these saws. Look at the IPL for the 029/039 for the part numbers (which is one of the few that I do not have).

Sure wish this was about salvageable 026. MS260 pro cylinders and 044 and MS440 cylinders. I'd be doing the happy dance :happybanana:

Back