Stihl 031 AV Idle Racing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a replacement filter and fuel line I just got installed. I need to put it back together to test now. I didn't know if the top of the fuel line being cracked like that would produce this issue so I was waiting on putting it back together in case there was anything else that would be easy to check right now with everything removed.

Yes, I made sure to hang onto it because I was afraid of losing the little thing! LOL
It causes slightly different behaviour on my 041 when the top of the boot splits like that.

That metal ring helps keep the boot from pulling out when you reattach the impulse line.

Just wanted to provide an update on this thread just in case anyone else ran into this issue while searching and was looking for a solution. I replaced the fuel filter, and the line from the filter to the boot on the outside of the saw. I also replaced the carb with a walbro just to rule out any issue with me rebuilding the tillotson that was on it.

The saw does not race idle anymore. So either the carb rebuilt I did messed something up or the fuel filter/boot was the issue. Unfortunately the fuel line to the carb must have stretched/cracked with all the manhandling i did to it so it now leaks at the carb input. Silver lining to that is at least that is something simple.

My apologies for getting back to this so late but life gets in the way sometimes of tinkering. Thank you all so much for your help with this!

Latest posts

Back