stihl 031 low max rpm when tached

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
max

12000 is the MAX rpms. You may find a little more power at a setting slightly lower. 031 did not like to be very lean in the wood. It was the best way to set one, in the cut, that is.

I was under the impression that stihl had designed the saw, so that when the saw was set to run 12,000 rpm or a little under, that the fuel mixture was rich enough that the saw would not overheat. WIth this said, a leaner mixture would allow the saw to run above 12,000, but could suffer damage from either to lean causing it to overheat or damage from overreving. The reason Im asking is, since my saw wont even make 12,000 when I adjust the carb lean till it starts cutting out, then how will I know that My fuel mixture isn't to lean when I advance my timing and possibly hit 12,000. Being that the 12,000 might only be reached by running the saw too lean. My thinking is that if 12,000 is the rpm where the fuel mixture isn't to lean and is for optimal performance without damage. Then if I turn it leaner than that, It should rev higher with risk of overheating or overreving.

Are you saying that 12,000 is the max rpm that the saw is capable of. If this is so then 12,000 would be leaner than one would want so the safe fuel mixture would be lower than 12,000.

Am I all confused or what.

max

That is the maximum permissable rpm. Run it over and you are over revving the components.
Tachs are great, but I believe, and I think a few will back me up, the saw should be set for best power. Not all saws run best at max rpm. It will also make a difference on bar length. The 031 will run pretty close to 12000 with a 16 inch bar, but it will like a bit more fuel to pull a 20.
How do I know that? My second saw was an 031 I put together from parts. Excellent saw. 20 inch for felling, 16 for the tops, before I had an 009.

Still not getting max rpms? Ignition module.

Latest posts

Back