Stihl 031AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hi all several yrs ago I bought one.Not sure what specs on it was,But sure know it would cut.Was wondering what is eqivilent to it in todays models

not same

I looked at the pics.I did'nt buy it till 1988It was new then.It hadSuper written after 031AV dealer said was more powerful than regulat 031av

stan_1966 said:
I looked at the pics.I did'nt buy it till 1988It was new then.It hadSuper written after 031AV dealer said was more powerful than regulat 031av

The standard was 48cc, so I'd guess that the Super was probably a large-bore version somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-54cc. I'm sure Lakeside or someone else might know better...

computeruser said:
The standard was 48cc, so I'd guess that the Super was probably a large-bore version somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-54cc. I'm sure Lakeside or someone else might know better...
thank you

I don't recall that Stihl ever made an 031 Super and certainly no 031s were made new in 1988. By then, you at least had the 028 which made the 031 obsolete. As far as I know, there were no large-bore versions of the 031. 030s are the predecessor to the 031 and has a slightly smaller bore. 032s followed the 031, and maybe has a slightly larger bore.

An 031 is nothing like an 026--performance-wise or looks. Displacement-wise it is close. Think of it, however, as a mini 045/056. It did hold the niche that the 026 now holds.

BTW, they are a nice saw. Like 045s of the same generation, ignitions are getting to be a problem. No issues with finding any other parts.

Chris B.

cbfarmall said:
An 031 is nothing like an 026--performance-wise or looks. Displacement-wise it is close. Think of it, however, as a mini 045/056. It did hold the niche that the 026 now holds.

BTW, they are a nice saw. Like 045s of the same generation, ignitions are getting to be a problem. No issues with finding any other parts.

Lakeside53 said:
There are no 031 supers. The 031 is closer to an 034 in performance than an 026.

I've always liked the looks of these saws. Beyond the " because I want one" factor, is there any reason why I'd want one when I already have a muffler modded 026pro? I guess my question is this: what are the real-world capabilities of this sort of saw and how do they compare with those of an 026Pro or MS290?

I thought I answered that...

more:

It's heavier than an 026... Lower reving, has more grunt, will out cut it.

Probably heavier than an 029 also.. Same comments as for the 026 above.

Vibration - bad... and most don't have a chain brake (but it can be found). I wouldn't want to use one all day.

I'd take an 026 pro any day over an 031 for "general use".

Lakeside53 said:
I thought I answered that...

more:

It's heavier than an 026... Lower reving, has more grunt, will out cut it.

Probably heavier than an 029 also.. Same comments as for the 026 above.

Vibration - bad... and most don't have a chain brake (but it can be found). I wouldn't want to use one all day.

I'd take an 026 pro any day over an 031 for "general use".

Thanks, that is what I figured. I was kinda hoping to find some reason I hadn't thought of for why I should want one, but I'm not surprised that there isn't such a reason.

At around $100 for a nice one, and being a rock solid reliable saw, it's hard to beat as one to keep for backup.

My first one was a freebie that just needed a carb. My second was $5 plus an atom module and it runs better than the first. Then I got a batch of 4 031s and an 042. There are at least 2 good ignitions in there--but I promised one to somebody. I'll have to make good on that one of these days. 2 of those 031s have that funny chainbrake that stops the chain (like any other) and also uncouples the clutch shoes from the crankshaft. Very strange but it works.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have any 031s if it weren't for that first freebie. Kind of a sentimental thing. At least I have lots of parts.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back