Stihl 036 in cherry condition w/30" bar for $225....good deal or no???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Guy swears up & down it's a beast and that eats through wood like a 500LB beaver on steroids...whatever!:popcorn::chatter:

Yet, when I asked him could my "Stihl Expert" come along and inspect it, run compression and so forth...he say's he don't like a lotta strangers milling about his place...cause he got daughters that have just now come into HEAT!!!! WHAT THE....?????:ices_rofl::msp_ohmy:

Anyhow...he says he has the original paperwork and photo album chocked full of the huge tree's he felled and firewood he bucked, noodled, ripped and so forth...pics of past tree conquest don't mean squat in my book...then he says...if ya hurry on over I might be swayed into letting it go for $200 and a Keg of Bud light! :hmm3grin2orange:

Any thoughts or game plans on this one guys????...I'm feeling kinda creepy about this here transaction my self...I just about have talked myself out of it...not to mention every time I speak with him he sounds like "Otis" from Mayberry...drunk would be a major understatement!!!:confused2:

Thanks
Reggie

If I needed another one I would buy it ,but I already have one and realy like it.I think a 30" bar is too much though, I run a 20". Post some pics!;)

30" seems way too big for that saw. 20" would be better with a 24/25" for the occasional large tree. From the sounds of that guy I'd pass on the deal even if it was a good one!

Hmm...good word! Post em if I buy it...don't like the vibes I'm a getting...not in a big hurry to have to get it or any saw right now though...just kinda thinking and pondering!:msp_unsure:
If I needed another one I would buy it ,but I already have one and realy like it.I think a 30" bar is too much though, I run a 20". Post some pics!;)

If you dont want to go to his place maybe sugest meeting somewhere half way. And bring your friends Mr.Smith and Mr.Wesson to back you up.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

If its nice, the price is right. I'll agree a 30 inch bar is way too much for that saw though.....

Oh, and get us pics of the daughters.

The "deal" don't excite me in the least. Might be a good saw for the money, but the seller scared me off already. Just sayin'.

Hahahahaha...Mac...you are something else...MY sentiments exactly! Hmm...now my Stihl guy has backed out of the deal...says he wants "No part" of something that might turn out to be a scene straight out of the movie "Deliverance"...which I didn't think was funny AT ALL!:msp_thumbdn::help:

I'M OUT...less he comes over into my part of the woods or meets @ Police Station.;)

QUOTE=Mac88;4018635]The "deal" don't excite me in the least. Might be a good saw for the money, but the seller scared me off already. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Nope, pass it on. It can't be cherry with a 30 on it. He obviously doesn't Know how to use a saw.

Nope, pass it on. It can't be cherry with a 30 on it. He obviously doesn't Know how to use a saw.

Yea, I'd say the 30 is quite a stretch on a 60cc saw, unless he was using it as a "manhood enhancer". I'd think 24 would be about all it would handle.

Yea, I'd say the 30 is quite a stretch on a 60cc saw, unless he was using it as a "manhood enhancer". I'd think 24 would be about all it would handle.

Even if it was super moded. The oiler would not be enough. Most important in my book.

It sounds like a good deal, and if you had the ability to just go and do a compression test and leak check why not grab it if it checks out? If your instincts tell you don't bother then listen to em. It may need alot of work and that's not for everybody to tackle if they don't turn wrenches and like that sort of thing.

An 036 in cherry condition, what are the chances he really "knows" about the saw anyway, since it hasn't been used much if it is still in "cherry" condition. From the sounds of it, I would avoid.

Guy swears up & down it's a beast and that eats through wood like a 500LB beaver on steroids...whatever!:popcorn::chatter:

Thanks
Reggie

I am thinking any chainsaw that runs will out cut a beaver irregardless of how big the beaver is.:msp_smile:

Some people are morons, no crime in that. Sometimes morons sell stuff. I'd go look at it. I'd offer him what the saw was worth to me. A person can ask any price they want. But reality is the price is what a buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. IF the guy actually ran that saw with that large of a bar you'll see signs of it and adjust the price accordingly. Pulling a muffler is so simple, I'd have the tools with me to do it. I'd show him the piston condition and adjust the price accordingly. I've made great buys on items once I was done educating the SELLER on what it was they were actually selling.

ETA: One talking point I'd really drive home is his photo album chocked full of pictures of trees that this saw cut. I'd make the counter argument that this saw has tackled so many wopper tree's, like a 500 pound beaver, that surely the "inards" of this saw must be warn out and in need of replacing. I'd make sure that an educated man like the seller clearly could understand that (mayber refer to that song the "old grey mare ain't what it used to be") so the seller can relate.

Last edited:
For a 59cc saw I would say a 30" bar is a bit over kill. If I were you i'd shop around a little more, I found a couple 361's on E-bay in pretty good shape for around 150.00. There is good deals to be made out there, I dont know if this guy youre talking about is worth it...sounds a little iffy to me. Plus the only way a saw is "cherry" is outa the box.. cant see how that saw is "cherry" with a 30" bar on it after cutting a photo album full of "monster" wood! I'd say skip it and let the guy keep it to fend off any intruders that picked up on his daughters scent!

Send me his contact number in a PM if you would if he's anywhere close to Atlanta.

I'm just north of Atlanta and would be interested in an 036 in good shape for $225. I could use the bar on a 460M and put a 20" on the 036.[/QUOTE]

You're just interested in his daughters in heat:msp_smile:

Yet, when I asked him could my "Stihl Expert" come along and inspect it, run compression and so forth...he say's he don't like a lotta strangers milling about his place...cause he got daughters that have just now come into HEAT!!!! WHAT THE....?????:ices_rofl::msp_ohmy:

Anyhow...he says he has the original paperwork and photo album chocked full of the huge tree's he felled and firewood he bucked, noodled, ripped and so forth...pics of past tree conquest don't mean squat in my book...then he says...if ya hurry on over I might be swayed into letting it go for $200 and a Keg of Bud light! :hmm3grin2orange:

Any thoughts or game plans on this one guys????...I'm feeling kinda creepy about this here transaction my self...I just about have talked myself out of it...not to mention every time I speak with him he sounds like "Otis" from Mayberry...drunk would be a major understatement!!!:confused2:

Thanks
Reggie

Have you priced a keg lately?

No sir...I sure haven't and don't plan to...I'm out on this guy, besides my friend on the Sheriffs dept tells me they're out there every other weekend for some kind non-sense ..."ALL GUNFIRE & VIOLENCE RELATED"!!!!:waaaht: QUOTE=beerman6;4019899]Have you priced a keg lately?[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back