Stihl 036 Question (s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parsox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Stihl 036 (based on the face plate number). It has a muffler similar to my 024AV. Can y'all tell me a little more about the muffler as I would like to replace the front portion (one of the corners where the bolt holds it to the back portion have broken off).

From pics on the Internet, the muffler looks like those that were placed on the 034 model, which makes me wonder if this is a 034 with a 036 cover on it - any thought on that? (Serial begins with 12067 if that is of any help).

Also, based on the muffler shown, I reckon this a muffler mod would not be required - is this correct?

Thank you all for your time and knowledge!IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0343.JPG

/r

IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0342.JPG

It's possible it's an 034 with the top cover replaced. The air filter cover looks like it has the knob rather than the lever, also with that muffler. If you measure the cylinder bore and it's 46mm you would know you have an 034av and not a 034S/036

Unknown at this time - I did not take the whole muffler off as I do not have a replacement gasket (if it would be needed)

Stihl usually use metal muffler gaskets and they are reusable. They don't fall apart like other types.
You should be able to spot the muffler spacer if one is there by either peeking through an opening on the side or removing the top cover.

No metal gasket (I may have to get one aftermarket)...when I look at my 024av I see a thin metal gasket between the muffler and housing..

further Internet searching shows that early 036 had older style 034 "super" mufflers...can anyone confirm?

thanks again

/r

No metal gasket (I may have to get one aftermarket)...when I look at my 024av I see a thin metal gasket between the muffler and housing..

further Internet searching shows that early 036 had older style 034 "super" mufflers...can anyone confirm?

thanks again

/r
Look for an IPL and check options based on the serial # of the saw.

I have an older 034 super and outside of your muffer didn't look like mine.

As far as I know 034 super and 036 use same muffer. As they share the same piston size. There are different variations out there.. Don't worry
Metal caskets are reusable.
There are plenty of muffers out there for 036 and they not critical parts.
Make sure the internals are roughly similar.. So they have similar air flow.
Newer styles can have mesh screens eta that your older saw will not have.

As you don't know it's history...
Don't assume anything.
Don't go by the top cover silver tag as covers could have been swapped.
And the decompression value can be a mislead.. as saw could have been fitted with an aftermarket cylinder... The newer ones come with a decompression value and maybe a later cover was fitted to accommodate the decompression value. (Rather than cutting a hole in the older cover).
Find some part numbers.
Only way to really know if it's a 034 034super or 036 is measure piston dia. But I not sure how actuate that is to do without taking cylinder off. And you don't want to do that.
Post a pic directly looking at the Air filter while in saw.

Inserting a drinking straw, stir stick or a long tooth pick through the exhaust port and then turning the piston up to make a dent in the item inserted, back the piston off and the measurement can be taken from the end inserted up to the dent made. The straw or whatever used must be kept as square to the bore as possible, I do it all the time and its accurate enough to tell the difference between two mm in diameter.

Latest posts

Back