Stihl 038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Russell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Talked to a man that has this 038 chainsaw that he got new and has never had only a sixteen inch bar on it. Asked him why not a longer bar. said, he had never cut any wood or limbs that he would need a longer bar. Also has the chase for it Home owners saw the way he talked. Told me to start the saw cut with it. Then make up my mind if I wanted the saw $175 bar and new chain. That is his lowest price.

Would you guy's buy it

Jack

In a heartbeat!!:blob2: :blob2:

13 years ago I picked up an 028super for $160 at an estate auction that had obviously only been run long enough to dull both chains. No paint loss on bar, no discoloration on output of muffler nor a single scratch. Still have it today and is one my favorite saws for small wood.

No way...

Jack Russell said:
Talked to a man that has this 038 chainsaw that he got new and has never had only a sixteen inch bar on it. Asked him why not a longer bar. said, he had never cut any wood or limbs that he would need a longer bar. Also has the chase for it Home owners saw the way he talked. Told me to start the saw cut with it. Then make up my mind if I wanted the saw $175 bar and new chain. That is his lowest price.

Would you guy's buy it

Jack

Heck no. You don't need that. And that's wayyyy high for an older saw.

BTW: Why don't you post the dude's name and number on here so I can call him and tell him what a horrible deal it is...

:biggrinbounce2:

Stihl MS360 & 038

In checking the cc of the two different saws they are the same, shows each one with 61cc. I'm puzzled. I thought the 038 had around 67 cc. I have a MS360. On most all stihl Pro saws higher the number of the model the more cc it had.

There is a reason the 038 is consider a good buy with all the Pro's. Why it has no more power than a 036. Have I all ready got a saw that is the quality of the 038.

Would you Guy's still buy the 038. Each one of you know's more why than I do. I know I can't go wrong with your advice.

Thank's

Jack

Jack Russell said:
In checking the cc of the two different saws they are the same, shows each one with 61cc. I'm puzzled. I thought the 038 had around 67 cc. I have a MS360. On most all stihl Pro saws higher the number of the model the more cc it had.

There is a reason the 038 is consider a good buy with all the Pro's. Why it has no more power than a 036. Have I all ready got a saw that is the quality of the 038.

Would you Guy's still buy the 038. Each one of you know's more why than I do. I know I can't go wrong with your advice.

Thank's

Jack

Is it just an 038, or a 38 pro, or a 38Mag???? Not that there's anything wrong with any of them. 38 is one of my favorite saws overall for everything cutting. It's light, great for anything and everything. And for $175, you can't go wrong bro. You'd better snatch that up or I'll be down to thieve it from that old dude for sure, lol. Buy it now before he changes his mind, if you don't like it, resell it for $250... :cheers:

there were a few diff models. 038, 038 super, and 038 magnum (II)
believe the mag model takes the same jug and piston as the 066/660

big heavy powerful saw. the 036/360 isn't even close, imo.
I wouldn't think twice abut pickup it up in tht condition for that price. nothing wrong with having a backup saw...
-Ralph

The reason for the recommendations from the peanut gallery I believe, for me at least, is that the 038 is an extemely reliable, ruggedly designed saw. Don't own one but have run many over the years, along with the 028 my favorite two "old" model Stihls. Loved that design. There were several different configurations, displacement, power, etc... as already alluded to. If it's even half way decent shape you cannot go wrong. I've seen this model take huge abuse on job sites and still perform fine.

If you decide not to go for it I may be racing Cisco down there.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Man O man...

adkranger said:
The reason for the recommendations from the peanut gallery I believe, for me at least, is that the 038 is an extemely reliable, ruggedly designed saw. Don't own one but have run many over the years, along with the 028 my favorite two "old" model Stihls. Loved that design. There were several different configurations, displacement, power, etc... as already alluded to. If it's even half way decent shape you cannot go wrong. I've seen this model take huge abuse on job sites and still perform fine.

If you decide not to go for it I may be racing Cisco down there.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't you know I'm from NC dude??? Hmmmmm, I gotta make a call to my brother, lmao... Great saw though eh? I think we'd all like one. It was definitely one of their best saws ever...

Well... even the mag 2 is not the same jug/piston (or size) as an 066, but it is a great old saw. It is heavier than most like, has a really crappy air filter system, and a front chain tensioner. Apart from that, tons of torque, really beefy crank and bearings, and great resale valve. It performs much like an 044.

Mag or Mag 2 out here sell for $450... standard 38 or super - $325 or so..

ciscoguy01 said:
Don't you know I'm from NC dude??? Hmmmmm, I gotta make a call to my brother, lmao... Great saw though eh? I think we'd all like one. It was definitely one of their best saws ever...

AAWWw, that's just not right!:cry: Not from there but I've got a brother down there too. Stationed at Fort Bragg, might have to see if he is in for a little black op:biggrinbounce2:
38 is a great saw, would love to have one for the collection, fit in nicely with my 028s.

hmm, Baileys lists the jug and piston set for the 38 and the 66 as the same.
but, I haven't ran one of them for years, beenn longer since I tore into one.
-Ralph

Lakeside53 said:
Well... even the mag 2 is not the same jug/piston (or size) as an 066, but it is a great old saw. It is heavier than most like, has a really crappy air filter system, and a front chain tensioner. Apart from that, tons of torque, really beefy crank and bearings, and great resale valve. It performs much like an 044.

Mag or Mag 2 out here sell for $450... standard 38 or super - $325 or so..
Are crank and bearings beefier on the mag vs 038 farmboss? Reason I ask I bought a very low hour frmbs with a bad piston due to strait gas and then bought a 52cm cylinder kit thinking I will have the equal to the mag..
Another ?. When I bought the head gasket they only had the thin version,and I understand a thicker one is made. I don't want extreme compression for ease of starting so I was considering installing the thin one on top the original which looks undamaged and is still adhered to the crankcase very nicely. Your thoughts considering gasket thicknesses verses performence and starting,Lake and any body else who knows.
The $175 saw sounds like steal.

Brushwacker said:
Are crank and bearings beefier on the mag vs 038 farmboss? Reason I ask I bought a very low hour frmbs with a bad piston due to strait gas and then bought a 52cm cylinder kit thinking I will have the equal to the mag..
Another ?. When I bought the head gasket they only had the thin version,and I understand a thicker one is made. I don't want extreme compression for ease of starting so I was considering installing the thin one on top the original which looks undamaged and is still adhered to the crankcase very nicely. Your thoughts considering gasket thicknesses verses performence and starting,Lake and any body else who knows.
The $175 saw sounds like steal.

Same bearings... As for gasket, the ONLY one you should use in the USA is the 0.5mm. Do not put the two gaskets together - just remove the orginal carefully with a scraper.

The 52mm mag cyinder will not fit on the early 50mm 038 - the mounting holes are different.

Thanks Lake. The 52 mm is an aftermarket from CBaileys I purchased.
I cut a couple big blackoaks up today alternating an 044,038mag 2 both w/25" bars and 041av w 20" bar. I really like the 044 for its handling,cutting speed and its a dream to start. The 038 mag is n't as nimble handling and starting ,doesn,t seem to whined out and cut as fast, but has considerable more low end grunt wich is nice when cutting through the bottom of logs near the ground when feathering the throttle finishing the cut or just pushing it hard through big full cuts.The 041 wasn't very far behind the other saws with the 20" bar as far as torque goes. Vibration wasn't a problem either.

Lakeside53 said:
Well... even the mag 2 is not the same jug/piston (or size) as an 066, but it is a great old saw. It is heavier than most like, has a really crappy air filter system, and a front chain tensioner. Apart from that, tons of torque, really beefy crank and bearings, and great resale valve. It performs much like an 044. ...

That's more like what I believe is true also - some of the earlier info in this post is a bit off.....:D ;)

The Magnum is 72.2 cc, the AV 61 cc, and the Super somewhere in between (about 66/67?), I believe.

Here is the current version, based on the Mag II, MS380.

Power output is rated as 3.6 kW, .2 less than the early 044s, and .4 less than the later 044/440s. Weight is about a pound more than those.

Last edited:
Jack,
That 038 would be perfect for me. Do you need an 066? Maybe we could work a trade. PM me. BTW, I live in the Norfolk area.

Latest posts

Back