Stihl 041 bar oil leaking (heavy smoke)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my 041 I went ahead and preemptively changed out the oil pump seals and rubber. However it leaks bar oil like crazy and I believe some is getting into the crank case as it smokes likes crazy until it burns it all off. So I finally through it on the bench to work on and as I got down to the clutch I noticed I have a bunch of play in the sprocket and the clutch. Hmmm. For awhile I had problems with an aftermarket sprocket that I believe was machines too thick so it was hitting the clutch drum and the chain would never stop spinning. I ended up buying a whole new sprocket and clutch assembly as I broke part of the original. Believe I may still be missing a spacer though seeing this.

677FCC86-E51A-4261-BE0B-B8B72066434D.jpegA3FBAE2C-3894-45A3-8562-F0290531526B.jpeg

Hopefully have time to finish tearing down and get the pump out this weekend. I’m not sure why It’s leaking with new seals and rubber on the pump unless the inner o-ring got cut or something.

Really want to get this saw to 100%. It’s a fun saw and it starts quite easily. Yes my 3700 and 372 are way better saws but there’s something cool about this old thing.

Does it smoke and leak without all that sawdust?

Edit: mine typically leaks some if I am using Stihl Bio Oil, however it doesn't leak using winter. Unsure about the regular summer as I rarely have it around.

That said it does not leak and cause smoke, just a small puddle where my saw sits on the shelf.

When you “rebuilt” the 041, did you split the cases & replace the case gasket?

With your new oiler o-rings & rubber, you’ve eliminated any oil leaks from the oil pump.

Those 041 saws combined the oil tank with the crankcase, and need a quick pressure test to see if the case gasket is internally leaking. May just need to retighten all the case bolts, but it’s prob a bad gasket...

Bubble check the oil fill tank cap vent hole & the bar pad hole while you’ve got the CC pumped up to 8#.

I did not split the cases. The saw was low hours but the top end was shot. Replaced that and got her going. Starts 2nd pull every time. I’ve suspected the case gasket as a potential culprit. If it requires splitting I’ll do bearings and seals while I’m in there.

And the smoke is from the exhaust so sawdust or not it’s something from the motor.
The sawdust looked pretty saturated so my question was more about if it is wicking it that direction or if the oiler is pushing it along the case if the bar hole is clogged. Likely not though.

Back