What is this bent wire on the oil pump? - MS 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuldup

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Early year MS360.
While diagnosing some clutch and oil leak issues, I found this formed wire that wraps around the oil pump drive gear had broken and destroyed the oil delivery line. The "finger" had broken off. The saw had been oiling fine but leaking a ton of bar oil. I found it was a bad oil pump gasket.
I ordered the gasket, oil hose assembly, oil pump, and a new new drive gear assembly, hoping the purpose of the wire would be apparent, but that is not the case. What is this wire for? Am I missing a part in the case (or has been destroyed also) that it should catch on?
Wire is circled in the 4th photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_132627827.jpg
    IMG_20231208_132627827.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231208_132933179.jpg
    IMG_20231208_132933179.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231208_134914341_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231208_134914341_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • InkedIMG_20231208_132939279_HDR_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20231208_132939279_HDR_LI.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
Early year MS360.
While diagnosing some clutch and oil leak issues, I found this formed wire that wraps around the oil pump drive gear had broken and destroyed the oil delivery line. The "finger" had broken off. The saw had been oiling fine but leaking a ton of bar oil. I found it was a bad oil pump gasket.
I ordered the gasket, oil hose assembly, oil pump, and a new new drive gear assembly, hoping the purpose of the wire would be apparent, but that is not the case. What is this wire for? Am I missing a part in the case (or has been destroyed also) that it should catch on?
That wire fits in a notch in the clutch drum to drive the oil pump. Your oil pump and hose was ruined by a loose/floppy clutch drum. Check the crankshaft stub for galling. replace the bearing and clutch drum with OEM if the If the crankshaft stub is galled you will need a new crankshaft as well.

Thanks for the feedback and tips, @SteveSr @ZeroJunk.

Crankshaft is clean. I noticed the saw was extra vibrate-ey and stopped use right away. The eclip somehow shot off and the clutch cover was all there was holding the clutch on. Not sure how it did not throw the chain.
"eclip somehow shot off"
Around here, we call those Jesus clips. When they fly, you holler, Jesus! Where did it go?!!! :cool: OT

Put a little heat on the output line to get it on the nipple. It is not a stretchy material like a fuel line. Aggravating little installation. And, they don't give you enough to do it over.
You were not kidding!
Why didn't they just lower the oil pump discharge by 2cm? Then the stupid spring would not be needed.

Early year MS360.
The bump in the wire goes to a notch in the drum of clutch , when the clutch turns it turn s worm gear .

Latest posts

Back