Stihl 044 complete assembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannerbob

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok guys I been reading and learning some here but need to make clear what I need to do so I don't have a trial and error issue with this saw.
The story here is I bought a used 044 that I paid a little to much for a parts saw with compression and spark. That part was true but not all the parts were on the saw when I received it. I tried to start it and acted like it wanted to take off for a few seconds when I put gas in the carb but that was it. I didn't like the way the pull rope felt so I pulled it off and felt the slop in the crank bearing so I knew I needed to pull the crankcase apart. During tear down I noticed the clutch was gone with the oiler gear and had the clutch housing alone on the crank. Inside the case there was nothing of the starter side bearing except for the inner race. Seems someone has been inside and probably didn't know what they were doing and slapped it back together for a sucker like me. Got all my parts except for the bearing bushing on the clutch side I didn't know I needed it until I was ready to put it all together and noticed the seal had nothing to ride on. So for my questions on all of this for you guys with experience is what else am I missing and I'm pretty sure the clutch side bearing goes in with the lip toward the oiler but since I didn't have much to take apart I'm not positive how it goes together. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I am doing this from memory so may be right or not. First the bearing then the seal, next the spacer or bushing as you call it. After that slip on the oil pump drive with the tang. Spin on the clutch but put that big flat washer behind it. Be sure it is on the correct direction so it doesn't tighten all this stuff up too much. Next slip on the clutch drum bearing (grease it first). Now put the drum on and be sure it has the cut lined up with the oil pump drive tang. Put a rim sprocket on, the small washer, and the E clip. Done

Ok guys I been reading and learning some here but need to make clear what I need to do so I don't have a trial and error issue with this saw.
The story here is I bought a used 044 that I paid a little to much for a parts saw with compression and spark. That part was true but not all the parts were on the saw when I received it. I tried to start it and acted like it wanted to take off for a few seconds when I put gas in the carb but that was it. I didn't like the way the pull rope felt so I pulled it off and felt the slop in the crank bearing so I knew I needed to pull the crankcase apart. During tear down I noticed the clutch was gone with the oiler gear and had the clutch housing alone on the crank. Inside the case there was nothing of the starter side bearing except for the inner race. Seems someone has been inside and probably didn't know what they were doing and slapped it back together for a sucker like me. Got all my parts except for the bearing bushing on the clutch side I didn't know I needed it until I was ready to put it all together and noticed the seal had nothing to ride on. So for my questions on all of this for you guys with experience is what else am I missing and I'm pretty sure the clutch side bearing goes in with the lip toward the oiler but since I didn't have much to take apart I'm not positive how it goes together. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Link to 044 shop manual is in your Inbox. Hope it helps.

I definitely will post and ask. I'm waiting on that bushing now and then ready to knock this out. I do appreciate all the help and info you guys offer. Glad I found you

Well I been to busy to get it put back together completely but I'm getting closer. I just got the clutch put back on tonight and all I really have left is the carb. Hopefully I can finish it up and fire it off tomorrow with good results.

No I didn't. It screwed on tight against the oiler and I tightened the clutch down. Should it spin freely or how do I check that it's right. I did put a good used oiler on it and just assumed all was good but you know how far that gets us sometimes.

I do have an oiler problem. I broke it all down and pulled the oiler off cause it was to tight. There was no spin freely with the worm gear but I'm not sure why exactly it wasn't easy.
I reassembled it cause I'm an engine junky and get impatient after I rebuild them and can't wait to hear it run. It fired off after about 5 pulls and sounds good. With the bar and cover off I throttled it up and down and watched for oil. After about a minute I shut it off with no sign of oil and started to break it down to the oiler again. It was full of oil through the tube but never pumped to the bar. I didn't like what I saw on the worm gear and plan on replacing that now and either tear down one of my oilers or find a new one to put on it.
I wonder if I have the seal installed deep enough on the bearing and if that was why the worm gear was tight. It's even with the bearing race now and I didn't want to push it to deep and make it tight on the bearing.

8e087460259a68d86c1194208cbf115e.jpg
c305904277f4b4831e37b51c927a746b.jpg

Here's what I don't like on the worm gear and what my seal and bearing look like. What do you think.

Latest posts

Back