• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 044 sold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I butched this quote above

Your pageant winner is 1,200-1,500 now, keep up.
Lol $200 yeah good luck hunting 044/440s. We look at junk around here for double that and some suckers by it from the weekend warrior and people who trash everything they own. The best buys in my area come from tools on crews who generally update them to stay current and they ain't pretty! Homeowner saws here are either near new quality tools or usually junk. Junk like Earthquake tools or big box store garbage. Junk like it ain't got 200 in parts left on it and is a late 440 arctic like I looked at last week, firm on 400, 🤣

Your wrong about a lot of buyers me being both a seller and a buyer.
Most times I look for quality over price as a user. Now price becomes more of an issue when buying parts that won't live here. Worn some is fine on my stuff or flippers. I personally prefer quality new or NOS regardless of the seller. Stuff to flip is a different story. Will the user want cheap for cheap or quality, possibly used, over cheapest?

Yeah read that again.

Plenty of rebuilt shinny queens around here filled with garbage parts. How many you want?
Joe J has three fresh rebuilds he might have $75 in total in all three "branded top manufacturers" that are very shinny and just built with junk by a nobody who knows nothing about engines.

What you see here above isn't that.
I sell these usually looking beat to death but turn key with all OEM most times.
Hi Lightning,

I am not writing to refute or make offense of your post, as in my message, there is always flex room for alternative sides to stories.

As I wrote a few times for my personal saw searches vs the saw searches or sales of others, the primary things I look for are a saw in decent condition to do work with. As long as the engine, electrics, filtration, exhaust, pull start, .... essentially the guts or bones of a saw are good, then the price I would pay is adjusted accordingly.

I can see where the current market places the price ranges as having an impact, as does the remaining availability of decent saws for work, parts, or flipping etc.

You wrote this: Lol $200 yeah good luck hunting 044/440s. We look at junk around here for double that and some suckers by it from the weekend warrior and people who trash everything they own.

I wasn't meaning specifically and 044 for $200, but like I paid for a decent homeowner 026 recently $175 with bar, 3 chains, a Stihl Case, good everything on a good runner, a decently treated saw can be had. Or like my own 044, which I stated that I got for a lesser price than pwoller's in the ad here. Both saws were and are great saws for the money I paid. I am sure there will be instances where folks will overpay for junk, pay a fair price for both buyer and seller, for a saw in good shape, and then others who have the scratch to pay top dollar. I am sure this happens every day.

Now you also said:The best buys in my area come from tools on crews who generally update them to stay current and they ain't pretty! Homeowner saws here are either near new quality tools or usually junk. Junk like Earthquake tools or big box store garbage. Junk like it ain't got 200 in parts left on it and is a late 440 arctic like I looked at last week, firm on 400,

I can buy into this summary and approach too. Good observation and thinking from someone like you with experience.
I recently bought a 3 for one money set of saws off a guy who runs a crew for a well known contractor who does powerline tree trimming emergency down trees type work. These 3 saws were a MS193, MS201TC and a MS261. I test ran them, looked them over and paid the man. They were all in good shape, the top handle saws had new bars and chains, the 261 had a decent used Stihl bar, Saws start right up as they should, run well, and should serve me well.
This seller fits into the last category you mentioned, Crews looking to update. Come to think of it, I got my MS660 off a similar fella. He was a young climber/ tree service guy who said he was upgrading to a 661 C-M.

I know where you mention how most times you look at quality over price. I do too, but I also add in there the chance to get quality AND price. But, I also know that sometimes in order to get the best quality one has to be open to paying a premium to get it and I have done so. ( Such as to get a totally clean runner, all the right parts, good maintenance record, etc.)

Lightning, you also said,
Your wrong about a lot of buyers me being both a seller and a buyer.
Most times I look for quality over price as a user. Now price becomes more of an issue when buying parts that won't live here. Worn some is fine on my stuff or flippers. I personally prefer quality new or NOS regardless of the seller. Stuff to flip is a different story. Will the user want cheap for cheap or quality, possibly used, over cheapest?

Yeah read that again.

Plenty of rebuilt shinny queens around here filled with garbage parts. How many you want?
Joe J has three fresh rebuilds he might have $75 in total in all three "branded top manufacturers" that are very shinny and just built with junk by a nobody who knows nothing about engines.

What you see here above isn't that.
I sell these usually looking beat to death but turn key with all OEM most times.

I don't doubt that some things or parts of how I word things can be wrong.

Not being a flipper thus not accounting for FLIPPERS in my initial statement could be seen as erroneous.
I understand your logic on all your points made above.

My 1988 Ford 4x4 F250 with 337K miles on it looks rough, but works and runs, and hauls better than the 1994 Extended Cab F150 I also have. I will never sell my F250, it has been that good a truck for me.
There are lots of Beauty Queen Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota trucks out there, but when it comes to work, I choose my high mileage F250 over just about any truck out there. Unless it was a comparable diesel model with diesel pulling power.

As for shiny saws, Me too, I definitely prefer a somewhat worn looking saw but one with good condition hard parts ( engine, bearings, carb etc,)
Not really interested in a sheep in wolf's clothing type saw, whether it be to look at, to use, or to flip. That is just not what I need in a saw. I need a working tool I pay decent money for, or a project saw but one with all the right parts and one that was made well from the factory. 051-076 for example.

Your pageant winner is 1,200-1,500 now, keep up.
I don't doubt it, But as you can see by my message about my 88 F250, my definition of pageant winner is different than the definition for let's say a collector who put his saws on a shelf.

To me, the pageant winner is the well kept, possibly modded, possibly stock, but 99% OEM saw 1% allowed for bar, chain, sprocket etc parts, that has plenty of life left in it for my hard earned dollars spent. Other richer people may pay the $1200-$1500 for the swimsuit model type 044 Pageant winner, but not me.

I will never buy or own a saw just to look at it or not use it. I don't have expendable income to do this type thing.

I don't doubt it, But as you can see by my message about my 88 F250, my definition of pageant winner is different than the definition for let's say a collector who put his saws on a shelf.

To me, the pageant winner is the well kept, possibly modded, possibly stock, but 99% OEM saw 1% allowed for bar, chain, sprocket etc parts, that has plenty of life left in it for my hard earned dollars spent. Other richer people may pay the $1200-$1500 for the swimsuit model type 044 Pageant winner, but not me.

I will never buy or own a saw just to look at it or not use it. I don't have expendable income to do this type thing.
It's not expendable. It's an investment if your not using it till It's used up.
I know about three people with shelf queens.
Many of us use them and go all in to buy what we use as a work tool until it completely catastrophically fails or needs rebuilt. I've seen well over 1500 in 361. Your not a pro user. This thing can be worn out in two years or less.

I would expect RPMs from a ported 044 to be higher.

Also, not stated if it is a 10mm or 12mm saw.

That said, 044s were one of the best all-around saws out there. I have had my 10mm red lever since I bought it new in Dec 92. Mine is modified, but not ported, but runs very strong. Mine has a K+S P+C.

Unless the covers are new, I would guess this is a 12mm saw. Most of the 10mm saws have a gap between the air filter cover and the top cover.

It's not expendable. It's an investment if your not using it till It's used up.
I know about three people with shelf queens.
Many of us use them and go all in to buy what we use as a work tool until it completely catastrophically fails or needs rebuilt. I've seen well over 1500 in 361. Your not a pro user. This thing can be worn out in two years or less.

I can't disagree with you here, Lightning Performance. Like I said, many sides to a situation where there are many individual scenarios.

Maybe we can get the answers from the OP like the others have asked about whether it is 10 or 12 mm, where it was ported etc.
There is another 044 I am looking at in my neck of the woods for that I have seen videos of it running. At least that one, I can physically check out myself.

For those of us with 044's, and the 10mm vs 12mm question.

If I am not mistaken, we can tell which a saw should be by serial numbers? If my saw is serial 124605918, does anyone know when it would have been made, and if it is a 10 or 12mm? I am pretty sure when I last looked at the cylinder, I remember it is a 10 mm version of the slant fin models.

Now that I went back, I see that the 2nd picture shows a 115/12++ marking on the Slant Fin cylinder.

1702608971351.jpeg

1702620270244.jpeg

Thank you wcorey,
I wonder what other info might surface because I acquired it from a man in Europe. Like some other saws posted in this thread, some replies showed details such as the first owner and where and possibly when it was bought etc
To get that sort of info from the s#, you need someone with dealer status to look it up.
People often start "can somebody please look up my s#?" threads here for stihl saws and often get replies.

Back