• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 044C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Nation

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 044C that's in good condition. Bought this saw on a gamble and won! It had a tear in the intake boot and had very minor scoring on the exhaust side of the piston due to the lean running condition. The cylinder cleaned up very nicely with a rotary buffing tool similar to "Mr. Wiggle" with 600 grit. What I've done:

New Stihl piston (OEM) with rings
Cleaned saw
Cleaned cylinder
New intake boot
Drilled lower exhaust cover bolt holes and tapped
Compression test = 160psi

Saw fires up on the auto choke setting nicely. Only issue I've had is re-starting. Have to move throttle to high idle to re-start due to the auto choke working a little too much. Other than that, it runs great. The saw has epoxy around the fuel tank where it joins halves. I've fueled and let sit overnight with no leaks. Take a look at the photos. I think I covered everything well. I'd keep this saw but I already have way too many. I'll be listing other saws soon.

I'll be listing an 038 MagII and 038 Mag with Tecomec top end as well as an 038 Mag soon. All good saws. Rebuilt by me. I'm no expert but have begun to rebuild Stihl saws. I'm pretty particular when it comes to stuff so I don't crank out crap. I'm a firefighter with 30 years of service with spare time on my hands. I like to tinker and build and this became a hobby. I have the special tools needed to tear down and repair the stihl saws. This is a something that I am sharing with my 10 year son who is very technical and likes to learn.

Take look at the photos here:
https://philipnationphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Stihl-044C/

I'll take $400. No bar or chain included.

I never heard of a 044C model saw before. I looked it up here on AS and it is an automatic choke model 044, and rather rare. The 044C saws are supposedly all earlier 10mm wrist pin saws, and this one is 10mm with the serial number. 400 bones seems more than reasonable for the saw in the photos.

Amusing that the 461 starter fits the 044 as well. Put a 460 CDN DP muffler cover on that saw and it will run a lot better with about the same power of a stock 460 (but w/o the weight and vIbbrAAAAtIon).

If all of the auto choke guts are still there that helps value as well as if it is a KS jug, I don't think any of the C jugs are KS but I could be wrong, I will look at the NOS one I sent Randy for the new recipe he built me but I think I remember is is Mahle.
I need to do research but there are a decent handful of different parts on this model besides just the jug.
From my horrible memory I think ignition, muffler, carb and a bunch of choke specific bits well.
All original and still running this would be a collectible saw.

Op I recommend pictures posted here of the contents of the carb box, the epoxy you mentioned, and any other ugly spots or gonks.

Whats compression how she start and run

160 compression. Starts fine on the auto choke or just simply bypass and go full choke position. Restarting after warm is a little difficult if on the auto choke position. It chokes too much and the saw needs to be started on the high idle position. Other than that, it appears to be original stihl parts and all auto choke pieces are there. The starter is obviously a 461 but works fine. I have no wood to cut so I can't tell how well it's going to run under load but I assume fine. It does NOT have the KS jug.

I allready have a strong 044 mahle 10 mm saw just looking for ks to add to collection i think i will pass they are great saws mine will smoke 460 all day

A co-worker may bring some large pine and oak logs for me to do some test cuts. Poor bastard is retiring from 30 years as a firefighter and moving to East Texas to set up shop with a portable saw mill. I'm envious. So, might have some videos showing actual cuts soon. I have several older saws that I'd like to sell. 3 - 038 mags, one is Mag II. All original with exception of one 038. Tecomec top end. It was a rough saw and I didn't want to spend a ton parts. Would make a good light duty saw.

I like 026 036 044 and 064 saws i bet a reg carb and kill switch assembly would make that a fine saw i will liok into it

Hey there, I'm a bit of a newbie. Sorry for such a late reply on all this. You're telling me a 044 starter will in fact fit on a ms461? Been a challenge finding a 461 starter.

Back