stihl 045 or056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Myers

Reaction score
First of all let me apologize if I'm in the wrong area. This is my first post on this forum. I recently purchased an 045/056 saw off of ebay. I've downloaded the parts manuals and ordered the service manual so i can properly put this saw together. The part I'm struggling with is I don't know if I have the 045 or the 056. I know I have the super because it has the 56mm piston. Other than that I cannot find any other definitive markings to suggest which one it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the bore is 56mm then it should be an 056 mag, assuming it's the original cylinder.
Super piston is 54mm. 56mm piston would indicate a magnum or magnum 2. Does it have spark ? These models are known for troublesome ignition coils. I've had a half dozen of these or so and usually the spark determines their fate if they become parts or builders.

If the corners of the cylinders are half notched on the base of the cylinder it is for sure a Magnum. Like said above, 56mm bore is Magnum bore size, Post up some pictures, I have quite a few of these in running shape and I am very proud of them. The 045/056 are very heavy, but highly similar saws to each other. Ignitions are known to be a weak point in them. Finding specific parts can be a pain in the rear as well.

Apparently my memory is not very good. I remeasured the bore of the cylinder and it is the 54mm piston. I will take pics tomarrow and post them. I'm not sure if it has spark or not. I bought it as a parts saw and have tore it down to figure out what parts I need to put it together. Thank you everyone for the responses on this post. I really appreciate it. Saw rebuilding is something new for me and has really sparked an interest.

I have quite a few of these in running shape and I am very proud of them.
11ce19.jpg
11uk.jpg

They're a great saw!......Though some parts are getting harder to find.... Hopefully someone will find a fix for the 056 Magnum SEM ignition.

Hey great thread! So within two weeks I have broken down 2-056 Mag II's with 54mm pistons. Whats going on here?? They have all the classic marks of the Mag II. The fiberless one piece clutch, the top handle with the circular round ignition switch half moon and 3 screw cover for the dual port muffler. I bought these saws as Magnums and either Im missing something or they have been rebuilt at some point as supers and I have been duped. Second question is, has anyone ever heard of an 056 Super Magnum as I have a tag for one? Any such saw ever made? I have Mike Acres site bookmarked and have looked everywhere for info on these saws. Thanks for the help!!! B

Welcome to the mad house!.....
We should start a info thread for the 1115 series saws.o_O
Here's one for future reference.:reading:

View attachment 458903

Thanks to this pic I was able to identify the second Mag II as actually a Mag II. I had previously measured the bore with a piece of electrical solder through the exhaust port and guessed at 54mm but the notches on the jug are clear that it is a Mag II.

What Bore is a Mag? Whats the difference and or was there ever any Mag, or Mag I?

The compression comes in at 145 which is good but I think I'll pull the jug anyway and check the bore, ring gap and piston. Polish the piston if need be, new rings if needed, check for any alum transfer make sure the mill is in good shape.

I would love to see a sticky info thread dedicated to 045's, and 056's as these are my favorite saws and there are so many models and differences between parts. Great idea Scallywag!

Back