Stihl 048 Recoil Pulley Refreezing Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I freed up said pulley on this fell-in-the-creek saw I'm rebuilding and greased the shaft. It worked smoothy for awhile, but after a week or so it froze up again :confused:. Are these pulleys like carburetor castings- once they start corroding it can't be stopped?

Thanks,
John H.

Somehow even with the grease it was stuck worse than before. I freed it with a little heat and this time cleaned up the shaft and hole well and added red grease. Duh, it has a bronze sleeve so my worry about the magnesium corroding was a red herring.

Will report if this lasts- I suspect it will.

John H.

Is the starter pulley the original cast one or replacement plastic? Also, is/was it stihl tight to the shaft or sloppy (does it have side to side play)?

I have had "binders" before. Usually a good cleaning and a small amount of grease will cure it. Really worn ones I just replace, usually with a newer style that will take dual pawls for more positive engagement.

It's the original cast one. And it appears to have a nice fit with little play.

John H.

UPDATE: When I put the OEM metal recoil pulley on, within a few days it starts to freeze to the shaft no matter what I put on there. I've tried grease, oil, oil and graphite, and anti-seize compound. I've smoothed and cleaned up both shaft and pulley bushing. It's certainly baffling. :bang:

Perhaps the only cure is a newer style pulley?

John H.

Last edited:
Is it binding on the shaft? Or against the recoil spring surface? One more; is the recoil spring the newer style with the captive "cover" piece?

I'm asking these things because I have a feeling that if the cast one binds after cleaning and lubing that a plastic one may end up doing the same thing if something else is the issue....

What kind of condition is the spring in? It sounds like that is your issue not the pulley.

The spring was removed, inspected, and regreased. When I say the pulley is freezing to the shaft, I mean STUCK. I don't mean it doesn't return quite right or jerks or something. I mean the cord cannot be pulled (if you wait a couple weeks) at all and then you have to heat the pulley and yank it off the shaft with vise grips.

It doesn't appear to be rubbing on the cover over the captive spring either as I left it "hovering" over the cover (didn't push it on all the way) and it still began to stick after a few days. I tried it upside-down too- same issue.

I may be a newbie but I also have rebuilt several saws and pulled them completely apart.

John H.

Last edited:
Try putting some anti seize on the shaft and see if that helps. I'm wondering if the bushing on the pulley is bad but that shouldn't cause it to seize.....

The lubricant that finally seems to have stopped the sticking? Triflow- wasn't my first choice but it has worked for several weeks where 2 antiseize compounds and several types of grease failed in a few days.

John H.

Back