Stihl 056 Craigslist Buy, is it a super? What do I need to know

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacificnwrider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I scored yet another old Stihl, thanks craigslist. This one is an 056(I think). The PO said it had been found in a shop and he was selling it condition unknown. I paid $60 for it. I tugged on the rip cord before putting it in the back of the truck and it pulled with little resistance; as I drove home I resigned myself to the idea I'd bought another saw with a bad cylinder. When I got home, I thought I'd mess with it just a minute before heading in the house for the evening. The spark plug was finger tight. I wrenched the plug down, poured a little mixed fuel in it and bam! Fired right up! First Pull! I'm pretty excited. I've run it for just a few minutes, and it idles great and seems to otherwise run fine.
My questions are these:
The tag on the top is different than the other 056AV tags I've seen. I can't see markings where it might say "super" or "magnum", but the space on the tag is there. I wonder how I could identify what type of an 056 it is?
Also, what do I want to do to this before giving it a good run? New crank seals? Anything else I should do to preserve this?
Last, if you have any information for me I'd LOVE to hear from you. The saw came with a 36" bar and no chain; how do I inspect the bar to see if it's worn?
THANKS!!

Attachments

• 100_1493.JPG
    100_1493.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_1492.JPG
    100_1492.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_1491.JPG
    100_1491.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_1490.JPG
    100_1490.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_1489.JPG
    100_1489.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 99
Madsens website at madsens1.com has tech info on guide bar insection and maintenance. Oregon, Carlton and others have info too. Good reaing. I can't speak for th rest ofyour questions regarding tags and determining exactly what you hve though. Others will be along morefamiliar with the 056's. Good luck and congrats on what sounds like an awesome find!

Duane

Is there any way I can identify without pulling the it apart? I assume I can pull the muffler off and measure from in there?

its an amazing saw, tons of power, and all around a really durable and reliable saw. it is my go to choice for day to day work; and tackles anything you throw at it. i run mine with a 32' bar and it really gets the job done. i would highly recommend it.

Is there any way I can identify without pulling the it apart? I assume I can pull the muffler off and measure from in there?

Pull muffler and stick a wood popsicle stick across to the opposite cylinder wall. Run the piston up hard against it to make a mark. Measure to mark with a machinist scale.

Accurate to plus/minus 1/64"

$60 huh? Scoundrel. The badge on the top cover looks like a "Magnum" badge. The word magnum goes in the larger space at the bottom, and is in red print. Often the red will vanish like that. I do not see a rear exit for the muffler, so I think what you have is probably not a Magnum. Maybe a mix of parts.

$60 huh? Scoundrel. The badge on the top cover looks like a "Magnum" badge. The word magnum goes in the larger space at the bottom, and is in red print. Often the red will vanish like that. I do not see a rear exit for the muffler, so I think what you have is probably not a Magnum. Maybe a mix of parts.
+1.......I don't see a chain brake, kick warning on top cover like early saws, 045 recoil cover.... could be an early super or a 056av?

First great buy for a great saw, love the 056 saw, 045 and 056 are basically the same saw and all the different versions have interchangable parts, best way to check is bore mentioned above. However it looks like you have a early style pull starter system and the bottom exiting muffler that were typically found on 045 or 056 av's. My suggestion is dont get caught up throwing a lot of parts at, if you have spark ( which is one of the major obstacles) then that's half the battle. Do the basic fuel filter, carb kit and wash out the fuel tank. Look at the air filter too because of the mesh style filter they tend to break down and the part is NLA, eBay or site members. Enjoy!

Thanks for all of the great information guys! The top cover is definitely from a magnum II; upon close inspection, I can see the remaining outline of the II portion of the otherwise missing decal. If I yank the muffler should I replace it with a new gasket?
I'm going to demonstrate my stupidity in the next paragraph...just a warning, it won't be the last time haha: I took it to the saw shop and got a chain for the 32" bar that came with the saw; only to find out after the purchase that the bar isn't for the saw, ugh!
On a scale of 1-10, how bad an idea is it to take a grinder and very carefully widen the adjustment channel (I'm sure that's not the correct name)so my current bar will fit the 056? Can I go out and find another 32" bar to fit the new 32" chain I just bought?

Thanks for all of the great information guys! The top cover is definitely from a magnum II; upon close inspection, I can see the remaining outline of the II portion of the otherwise missing decal. If I yank the muffler should I replace it with a new gasket?
I'm going to demonstrate my stupidity in the next paragraph...just a warning, it won't be the last time haha: I took it to the saw shop and got a chain for the 32" bar that came with the saw; only to find out after the purchase that the bar isn't for the saw, ugh!
On a scale of 1-10, how bad an idea is it to take a grinder and very carefully widen the adjustment channel (I'm sure that's not the correct name)so my current bar will fit the 056? Can I go out and find another 32" bar to fit the new 32" chain I just bought?
Oh that's bad.
Better just send everything you have to me I'll send you $125 for your troubles. ;)

Without knowing what bar you have, it's hard to say.

Take the part numbers on the bar and search out what you have.

Is that a .404" or .375"(3/8"), bar?

OH BABY OH BABY!! It's like the Harley Davidson of woodcutting!! It makes great throaty music and cuts like a hot knife through butter!!

Latest posts

Back