Stihl 056 Mag 2 Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mot Krig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I am rebuilding my saw (056 mag 2, 56mm bore) and would like to put a new piston in while it's apart. Piston is questionable, probably could be reused but wouldn't be optimal. Has some visual "scoring" but cannot feel them. Same "scoring" on the cylinder, but should be easily cleaned up with some scotchbrite. My fear with the piston is that it will be undersized if I try to polish out the "scoring" on the skirt.

Saw started/ran excellent, but compression was only about 120psi cold. It felt very weak compared to what I was expecting from a saw with this much displacement. By feel, it had about as much torque as my 038 mag with 160psi.

Questions:

-Can I use rings from a TS800? Dimensions look the same so I dont see why not

-Can I use a piston from a TS800? Design is likely different, but does it matter? The other options are a couple of off-brand 056 pistons. OEM or other recommended aftermarket pistons don't seem to be available anymore. I'm thinking my existing piston is probably better than cheap knockoff.

-Any other options for a piston other than stated above?

The plan is to use this for a sawmill, although it will only see very occasional use.

Thank you

Back