Stihl 056 mag squish question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mot Krig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 056 mag 2 with squish of .037 all around the piston.

Is .020 the right number to shoot for?

More importantly, are there any other things to check/fix when lowering by nearly .020"?

Thanks

Hello,

I have an 056 mag 2 with squish of .037 all around the piston.

Is .020 the right number to shoot for?

More importantly, are there any other things to check/fix when lowering by nearly .020"?

Thanks
.020" squish should work nicely.

Might also want to try advancing the timing a few degrees... File about .020" off the flywheel key, and rotate f-wheel CW when reinstalling, then tighten up the f-wheel nut. .020" off the key should advance the timing roughly between 4°-6°

Great, thank you for the quick reply! This thing is dog. Haven't exactly figured out why, but this is at least a step in the right direction.

.020" squish should work nicely.

Might also want to try advancing the timing a few degrees... File about .020" off the flywheel key, and rotate f-wheel CW when reinstalling, then tighten up the f-wheel nut. .020" off the key should advance the timing roughly between 4°-6°

How much is this going to affect starting a working saw in cold weather conditions.?? takes a good pull as it is when compression is at the 180 area. and I am curious about using a thinner base gasket than the oem .05mm .. Like the 1/64th" Just came across your comment and I have several Mag II to re ring etc and little things like this are very relevant to me. Thanks

How much is this going to affect starting a working saw in cold weather conditions.?? takes a good pull as it is when compression is at the 180 area. and I am curious about using a thinner base gasket than the oem .05mm .. Like the 1/64th" Just came across your comment and I have several Mag II to re ring etc and little things like this are very relevant to me. Thanks

If the compression is already at 180PSI with the stock base gasket, using a thinner gasket would definitely make the saw even harder to pull over/start. Advancing the timing in addition to the thinner base gasket will also make the saw more difficult to start.
I'd probably leave the stock base gasket in it, especially since you're already seeing 180PSI. If you get too much compression in a saw without a decompression release, you'll start to prematurely wear the starter (and your arm). The slight timing advance should be good enough to help "wake it up".

If the compression is already at 180PSI with the stock base gasket, using a thinner gasket would definitely make the saw even harder to pull over/start. Advancing the timing in addition to the thinner base gasket will also make the saw more difficult to start.
I'd probably leave the stock base gasket in it, especially since you're already seeing 180PSI. If you get too much compression in a saw without a decompression release, you'll start to prematurely wear the starter (and your arm). The slight timing advance should be good enough to help "wake it up".
Trying to grasp all of this ---- If I have a nice running 056 MAGII and file .020 thou of the key and advance clockwise then tighten the flywheel nut there would be a noticeable difference then if I don't like this Idea I could back step to the original key/flywheel position ....sounds sweet.. I bought my first MagII in '85 or '86 they are sort of a sentimental thing with me Starting one is not an issue yet but at 60 years and a bad right shoulder ones mortality becomes obvious. But MORE old Farts Have faster muscle cars than youngens so mebbe I like the idea of a faster than normal firewood saw until I have to say uncle and have a helper start it for me. I appreciate your reply and you do realize that you are enabling my notions and YES I am Smiling and have had a beer or so and of coourse a sincere Thank You Kindly

The SEMs coil under the flywheel has small elliptical slots for mounting to the crankcase I have always centered the coil (please CORRECT me as needed) but if I crowded counter clockwise that would have some benefit (Yes?) there is't much room to increase the slot but I will have to pull one out of the garage loft and lookee at it. I may try a degree wheel for my education but that is something I will have to buy (D Dave will get some more of my limited cash..).
I have looked for gasket material to match the thickness of the OEM base gasket (.05mm or .o22") and I can find Karropak with a lower temperature rating at 1/32" (.03125") or 1/64" (.015625") I am thinking 1/64" would suffice but that was why I asked about cold weather start and the squish statement earlier etc. I need to find some of the ?green? gasket material that has a higher temp rating Just haven't been lucky yet.. I have a new OEM base for reference and guess I should buy more when they come up for sale. I was thinking about future saws that gaskets may not be available for and I need several for my 056 projects..

Latest posts

Back