Stihl 064 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman_gq

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just picked up a complete low compression 064 for $180. Pulled the jug and have transfer on both intake and exhaust sides, haven't checked anything beyond that but I'm planning on replacing the seals along with the intake boot, impulse, fuel lines. While I'm in there should I go ahead and go with an 066 cylinder or one of the aftermarket big bore kits? Rest of the saw is in very good condition, nothing cracked or broken. Does need a new air filter, the one on it is basically a mesh screen now as the flocking is gone.

Bearings feel tight and roll very smooth. I'll definitely look harder at them when I get deeper into it, even the factory AV bushings are pretty tight still. I don't think this one has many hours just got some bad gas and got hot.

Stick with the 064 jug and slug I wouldn't do a big bore on it if you can do a wood's port on it and call it good they can rip without doing a big bore on them.

I bought the last set my dealer could find about 3 years back, he can`t find hardly anything for the 064 through Stihl Canada. There is something like 9 parts needed to change from regular to HD filter setup.
Mine came with the HD version when I got it witch I'm really glad it did. He can still get the parts here in the US but $$$$$. Lol

Pulled the seals tonight and found the clutch side bearing has a broken cage. Anyone have a step by step to changing the bearings and maybe some part numbers? I do have a pretty good bearing house in town
Well that's a bummer you're going to have to take it all apart and split the case get a case splitter that will make things a hole lot easier bearings you should be able to get those at a stihl dealer.

Got it split and new bearings, gaskets, seals in yesterday. Overall not a difficult process just used the hot/cold method to get the flywheel side on the crank and pto side in the case. Used the oil pump to get that bearing seated at the right depth, took a few whacks on the crank ends with the soft mallet to center it up and everything is back to rolling smooth. Found a cheap splitter kit on ebay, worked great and left the bearings in the case halves which saved me the trouble of digging out my small bearing splitter.

Attachments

• IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3701.JPG
    IMG_3701.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3703.JPG
    IMG_3703.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3704.JPG
    IMG_3704.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22
Melted piston started the whole thing then I found the broken bearing cage when I pulled the seals out.
Good job she should last you a long time now I'm sure you're going to replace the intake boot and inpoles line while you're in it that far cheap insurance.

Been a while but got it most of the way back together, does anyone know if the intelli-carb snout should have a rubber boot or gasket on it for use with the HD filter base? Can't find any reference to the boot but with the HD base having a hole for the intelli-carb on the clean side of the filter I feel that one should be there.

Latest posts

Back