Stihl 066 Rookie Rebuild...all hands on deck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjcard41

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Want to say thank you to everyone in advance for their help.

I am NOT a professional! I heat my house with firewood, so that's what I do 90% with chainsaws. I bought a 461 new quite a few years that I absolutely love, but I wanted something bigger and my uncle happened to have this old 066 sitting around.

I've only used the 066 a couple of times and last time I ran it the chain would not stop running on the bar at idle no what I did for adjustments with the idle and low valves on the carb. So it was spilling bar oil like crazy and very unsafe. I took off the clutch cover and discovered that a spring was busted. I'm posting pictures of everything.
I did the poly rope in the cylinder to stop the piston so I could remove the clutch. Took off the muffler to make sure I had the piston above the exhaust port of the cylinder so I wouldn't get shreds of rope. Then I saw the piston and decided to dig further...

First question:

Should I just order new springs for the clutch or get a new entire clutch assembly? Can anyone tell me if this looks like an OEM clutch? A new OEM clutch is around $90 from my dealer after calling them.

I'm pretty sure the jug and piston is not OEM, so at one time someone did some work to this saw. The piston is scored, but surprisingly it feels fairly smooth with no deep grooves. I tried to take the best pics I could of everything. Of course there is a ton of carbon buildup.

Second question:

What is the best route to go as far as the piston and jug? I'd rather have OEM of course and I know the cost is high compared to AM. Can a person try and salvage the piston? Clean it up I guess.

Thanks!IMG_5640.jpg IMG_5630.JPG IMG_5631.JPG IMG_5632.JPG IMG_5633.JPG IMG_5634.JPG IMG_5636.JPG IMG_5637.JPG IMG_5643.JPG

Well, you have good bones there and you have it pulled far enough apart, you might as well check everything out that is bolted,screwed or pressed on and make yourself a shopping list.
New rubber kit for all your lines and intakes, new filters- replace all the "disposables".
From what you have shown, I would run that clutch with new springs- but your clutch bell might be worn a bit thin and you might want to think about replacing that as well?
I would clean up the cylinder and buy a new Meteor piston with its Caber rings. Might as well toss in the new small end needle roller bearing while you are in there.

Just check everything over, replace the easy bits and the bits you have not thought about, if the clutch has busted a spring- the clutch bearing is probably due a replacement as well. How do the starter pawls look?
Easier to replace all the small items now you have the piston out so you know all is well and you do not have to tear it back down after a short run period to fix something you missed earlier.

Well, you have good bones there and you have it pulled far enough apart, you might as well check everything out that is bolted,screwed or pressed on and make yourself a shopping list.
New rubber kit for all your lines and intakes, new filters- replace all the "disposables".
From what you have shown, I would run that clutch with new springs- but your clutch bell might be worn a bit thin and you might want to think about replacing that as well?
I would clean up the cylinder and buy a new Meteor piston with its Caber rings. Might as well toss in the new small end needle roller bearing while you are in there.

Just check everything over, replace the easy bits and the bits you have not thought about, if the clutch has busted a spring- the clutch bearing is probably due a replacement as well. How do the starter pawls look?
Easier to replace all the small items now you have the piston out so you know all is well and you do not have to tear it back down after a short run period to fix something you missed earlier.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "starter pawls?" Is there a complete rubber kit out there or is that something I will have to reference with the parts manual and look up each individual part number? Thanks!

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "starter pawls?" Is there a complete rubber kit out there or is that something I will have to reference with the parts manual and look up each individual part number? Thanks!
starter pawls are the 2 little wings that come out as you pull to grab the flywheel to start the saw

See, got you thinking already. ;)
You need an IPL for the 066, exploded view parts diagrams- then you will find all the parts easy to see and the OEM numbers that fit. Photos of "what is this" or "is this good?" on here will help, smarter people than me will chime in with the part number for you.
My post was aimed at getting you to start looking and checking for less obvious wear as you pull bits off the powerhead- hopefully saving you time at a later date. :rock:

Latest posts

Back