Stihl 075 cylinder still usable ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoMax

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I detected small spots of flaked coating on my Stihl 075 cylinder between exhaust and intake port:

What do you think,could this cause problems ? The saw gets new bearings, seals and a new OEM Piston. It ran, but had a Golf piston that the pre -owner threw in after the old piston was scored due to a leaking air filter and sawdust. Except that area the cylinder is quite fine :msp_mellow:
Max

Use a good cylinder hone. Take your time, and dont take to much off the walls. Be sure to clean the cylinder good when you get done. Good soapy water wont hurt it at all!

Use a good cylinder hone. Take your time, and dont take to much off the walls. Be sure to clean the cylinder good when you get done. Good soapy water wont hurt it at all!

Cody most chainsaw users don't have a cylinder hone just laying around. Some fine sand paper dipped in water will do the same and most everyone has some sand paper laying around.

Max just make sure there is no aluminum transfer on the cylinder from the previous scored piston. Sand the cylinder up with some water and your good to go. Just make sure to wash the cylinder out with dish detergent and hot water.

Thanks for your posts so far :smile2:
I've got a hone and already honed (or better cleaned and made a slight cross hatch) this cylinder before i took the picture, so since you didn't see it, it's only slightly honed :msp_biggrin: The golf piston is still ok, but i don't trust this, aftermarket stuff. The pre owner cleaned the cylinder before installing the golf piston, and i think he did a good job and casually used the saw this way for 2 years.
The cylinder was smooth all around, except of this part between the ports, but it got better after honing. I also grinded the spot by hand and its smooth now, so i think this schould cause no problems at all so far. The question would be, does the (chrome, i suppose ?) coating use to stay were it is or does it tend to flake of more ?
I'm glad that you say it's fine :msp_rolleyes: The saw ran good, but since i've got a later case with the chainbrake mounting and due to little gasket problems i took it apart for a crankcase swap.
Max

Latest posts

Back