Stihl 08 S Chainsaw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilotguy

Reaction score
Recently I was given a Stihl 08 S chainsaw from an old neighbor of mine. He said he had the saw for more than 25 years. I can tell because even the Stihl logo is very different than the one they have now. This saw was made in West Germany and it must weight more than 20 lbs. The saw does start and run strong. However, it looks like it will need some parts before I can really use it. Right off the bat it needs a air filter, a new chain and sprocket need to be replaced as well. I am debating now on whether I should work on it or just sell it and use the money as down payment for a newer saw. I would like some suggestion/feedback from all you experts here on this saw. I am sure Stihl has improved quite a bit in technology in 20+ years since the 08 S came on the market.

I took the saw to a Stihl dealer here in town and the gentleman told me I would be better off going with a new saw (something like the MS250) than the 08. He said the compression ratio has gotten a lot better as well lot less vibration with the newer saw plus it is about half of the weight. I just thought the saw is really cool to look at and perhaps I can still get some years out of it.

Your advice/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

I will be using the saw to cut cords of firewood as well as cutting down trees both in my yard as well as in my ranch.

Pilotguy said:
I am sure Stihl has improved quite a bit in technology in 20+ years since the 08 S came on the market.
Would you believe me if I told you this model is sold new today in some parts off the world.

The stuff in the back they call air filter was just so that rabbits and birds did not jump in.
I doubt this is hard to find parts fore, look at E-bay, and post in the equipment forum.

Alot of guys prefer to use older saws. They're fun, and definately have a feel to them that lets you know it's old and bold. I'll use the 056 occasionally, but it's just so dang heavy and I'm afraid of wearing out parts, as I'll have to buy new ones! But, if Mange says parts aren't a problem, and you don't mind hurking the metal around, go for it. There's a satisfaction that comes from using saws that old.

Jeff

The 08S was discontinued in Canada at the same time as the 090 in 2002 due to EPA emmisions. I believe I sold the last remaining one to Homedelightman Jonathan Hobbs.
Anyway, although the 08S is outdated, it is built like a tank and lasts forever. It was the mainstay powerhead of the TS350 cuttoff saw and the two-man auger. The engine is maybe the most reliable 2 cycle that was ever mass produced. It was also the rental saw of choice for many years. It accepts both 3/8" and .404 pitch chain as well as the big mount Stihl bar.
John
G12.jpg

Mange said:
Would you believe me if I told you this model is sold new today in some parts off the world.
That is correct, and I think that it is the oldest (1965) saw model still sold as new.
The second oldest, I think, is the Stihl 070AV (1968).

Latest posts

Back