• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl 084 chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought a used 084 which is a runner, last week.
Curious why your after 084's specifically (If you don't mind me asking)?
Were they a particularly good saw for any specific reason?
The only fault that I can find thus far with it, is it leaks bar oil while sitting/not being used.
Someone who saw it, offered me a lot more than I paid for it - the same day I picked it up!.
Enough in fact, that if I sell it, I can add $100 to it and buy a NIB 881C that's being sold off bye someone else I know who doesn't want it!
So I'm in a dilemma.
1. Flip the 084 & buy the new in box 881C
2. Keep the 084 and try to fix the bar oil leak
3. Beg borrow or steal the $$ to buy the 881C also & have 2 slabbing saws (084 & 881C) - permanently set up on 2 Granburg Alaskan Miil Frames that I already have, with varying length bars for larger or smaller diameter logs.

I know little about the 084's - so have no idea whether they are the greatest saw ever built, or a pile of trouble waiting for sometime to happen that's going to eat up a lot of $$ in ongoing repairs, and create a lot of havoc & inconvenience at the worst possible time?.

By the same token I also know little to nothing about the new 881C & its reliability or capability for slabbing & whether it has any known flaws / weaknesses - like having to take it to the dealer and hook it up to a computer every time you want to tune it up?
The fact you are seeking specifically to buy them used - makes me wonder if you know them well and have an affection for them and might be keen to pass on what you know - that I obviously do not?

We have a 660 for cutting logs cross grain (into rings for firewood) - so the 2 mills & 084 (&/or 881C) are really just to have the convenience when the occasional log that's too good to cut up for firewood rings presents itself - to take some slabs!.

Maybe I should flip the 084 - grab the new 881 that's currently on offer & buy a matching new 881C and get a double end bar and have the option of running 2 x 881C's together if ever it looks expedient?

Trying to make up my mind what to do? - whats the best option longer term?.

I don't know enough about the 881C - in as far as slabbing with them for starters.

Keen to hear any wisdom you might be able to impart please on either saw?

Cheers

The only fault that I can find thus far with it, is it leaks bar oil while sitting/not being used.
Someone who saw it, offered me a lot more than I paid for it - the same day I picked it up!.
Enough in fact, that if I sell it, I can add $100 to it and buy a NIB 881C that's being sold off bye someone else I know who doesn't want it!
So I'm in a dilemma.
3. Beg borrow or steal the $$ to buy the 881C also & have 2 slabbing saws (084 & 881C) - permanently set up on 2 Granburg Alaskan Miil Frames that I already have, with varying length bars for larger or smaller diameter logs.

I know little about the 084's - so have no idea whether they are the greatest saw ever built, or a pile of trouble waiting for sometime to happen that's going to eat up a lot of $$ in ongoing repairs, and create a lot of havoc & inconvenience at the worst possible time?.

By the same token I also know little to nothing about the new 881C & its reliability or capability for slabbing & whether it has any known flaws / weaknesses - like having to take it to the dealer and hook it up to a computer every time you want to tune it up?
The fact you are seeking specifically to buy them used - makes me wonder if you know them well and have an affection for them and might be keen to pass on what you know - that I obviously do not?

We have a 660 for cutting logs cross grain (into rings for firewood) - so the 2 mills & 084 (&/or 881C) are really just to have the convenience when the occasional log that's too good to cut up for firewood rings presents itself - to take some slabs!.

Maybe I should flip the 084 - grab the new 881 that's currently on offer & buy a matching new 881C and get a double end bar and have the option of running 2 x 881C's together if ever it looks expedient?

I don't know enough about the 881C - in as far as slabbing with them for starters.

Cheers
I would have dropped it like a bad habit for a new one with only a hundred out of pocket.

So I'm in a dilemma.

Cheers

I like the 084's for the fact that they were the first series of the newly designed large pro saws from Stihl. Offered at the same time as the 090 which was gradually being phased out.

For the milling work I would be hesitant to use the 084, particularly if you can get that 881 for a few more dollars. Parts for the 084's are becoming harder to find, so if you are planning to run the saw in a hard working application like milling, I would definitely go with the newer machine.

Back