Stihl 084 DP cover option by ScottWojo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
I always wondered why there wasnt a DP cover from stihl for the 084 as a option. Well I found a guy here in Ohio to make one to my specs. It tested right with my race gtg cover and blew the semi-opened and stock covers away. Plus it has a spark arrestor and can be used for work or play.
Right now I have him working on a 066 cover made to my specs also. I am going to compare it to my 066 modded DP and hopefully find a stock DP to test with by then.
Pic will be added.
Copyof084mufflercovertest001.jpg

Copyof084mufflercovertest004.jpg

copy084mufflercovertest002.jpg

Copyof084mufflercovertest003.jpg

Last edited:
Looks cool but I wouldn't want to use it in a mill. The exhaust would be blown directly in your face.

I've posted this before but this is how I did mine to keep the exhaust blown to the ground.

attachment.php

If mine was strictly a crosscut saw I would have done it the same way as in your picture as it's much easier. Getting the pipes to fit and allow the chain break to work was a pain.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Went and finished a cutting job today for a friend. I used the 084 with 21" square and my 7900 with 32" skip round. It was 96 degrees and I cut for 3 hours solid switching saws between a couple of ripping cuts. The big piece was a 3 way crotch section that was hard as :eek: to rip. The 084 wojo muffler was flawless and being able to turn it up a bit over stock covers for work sure made a heck of a difference in my mind. The wood was rock hard maple that was being ripped today, it was 46" tall laying on its side and about 60" deep. I ripped it up with the 084 with 21" and finished with the 32" on the 7900.
Only thing I found you have to watch with this wojo muffler mod is hand placement on a flush cut. Had to move my hand down some to get it out of the exhaust.
The pic is before starting the job today.
I never ever want to have to do this for a living. My hats off to you guys that do this for a living.
CopyofTree002.jpg

Another reason I chose to have a cover done over doing a 084 back half like a walkers set up with duals, was because the 084 back half's are up to $80 now (I think). If memory serves me right when I went looking for one when mine fell apart. The $20-$25 covers were alittle easier to get, so that was the reasons for not wanting to cut on the back half's for a mod.

Plus I have 4 - 084 front covers now from Mild to Wild for gtg racing, One is even more free breathing then the wojo shown.
So depending on how and what I am cutting it is just a cover swap away now.

Last edited:
Wojo, what paint did you use on that 084 cover? I was making very long ripping cuts with it yesterday in 96 degrees and I cut for 3 hours solid switching between saws (trying not to smoke one in the heat).
I looked over the cover today and the black paint looked just like it was before I put it on, no burning,no peeling, no discoloration whatsoever, just like new. I was amazed.
The only coloring change was on the stainless pipe in the front.
Thanks again for the made to order muffler covers.

Cant wait to see how the 3 - 066 covers compare to each other. modded DP, Wojo cover, stock DP.

Last edited:
I would say a high quality high temp paint. I have seen a few covers that "Jet-Hot" coated silver and they look and hold up great. Jet-Hot does the high temp coating on automotive headers and exhaust. I have a set of Mac's on my LS1 that have been coated and they are looking new after 7 years.

That wojo cover is SICK! Wow, looks like the exhaust tip coming out of a buddies Duramax. If looks could win a contest that would be close to #1.

When ya getting one for the pull ons?:biggrinbounce2:

Wojo, what paint did you use on that 084 cover? I was making very long ripping cuts with it yesterday in 96 degrees and I cut for 3 hours solid switching between saws (trying not to smoke one in the heat).
I looked over the cover today and the black paint looked just like it was before I put it on, no burning,no peeling, no discoloration whatsoever, just like new. I was amazed.
The only coloring change was on the stainless pipe in the front.
Thanks again for the made to order muffler covers.

Cant wait to see how the 3 - 066 covers compare to each other. modded DP, Wojo cover, stock DP.

High temp Black Silicone Alkyd, with Manganese Oxide, Iron Oxide, and Silicone Dioxide. Aka Black Velvet. $160/ Gallon

Yes, I like how the Stainless turns blue with the heat with certain models.

I always wondered why there wasnt a DP cover from stihl for the 084 as a option. Well I found a guy here in Ohio to make one to my specs. It tested right with my race gtg cover and blew the semi-opened and stock covers away. Plus it has a spark arrestor and can be used for work or play.
Right now I have him working on a 066 cover made to my specs also. I am going to compare it to my 066 modded DP and hopefully find a stock DP to test with by then.
Pic will be added.
THATS TOO FUNNY CUT,,,, REMIND ME WHEN I GET HOME THIS WEEKEND TO POST SOME PIX OF A PAIR OF MY 066 COVERS I BUILT LAST YEAR,,,,,, WITH STAINLESS PIPE,,,,,,:hmm3grin2orange: AND YEAH TURNS BLUE,,,,,

Last edited:
Kevin anything yet?

This was a really awsome thread, I thought I would bounce it back up to see if Kevin has any new results after using the Modified products for a significant amount of time now.

Scott I have yet to have any type of problems with the well built sturdy as heck cover you have made for the 084. I still like the idea of having muffler cover swapping for my uses, instead of cutting up the expensive back half's of the 084.

I will be testing the 066 Wojo cover and a Factory new untouched Stihl DP cover, and a modded (coming apart from wear) stihl DP cover.

I have also talked to a user of your 440-460 covers and he stated they are holding up quite well on his work crews work saws of everyday use, compared to the stock DP covers getting tore quickly from their pro uses. Sounds like crews are rough on others peoples saws.

I have no clue how a pro tree service crews tear up covers, but here is what he stated. All I can figure is the crews must be rough on the equipment.

I found that the covers Scott made for me work as well as the factory DP cover on a 044/ 46 . For some reason my guys trash the DP covers real fast, the factory stock NON-DP ones last forever. We'll see how Scott's hold up to abuse!

Last edited:
When I take a pic of my DP on my 066, you will see where it has actually started to come apart at the DP seams have gotten so thin they have opened up and separated completely.

Mine must be, Thin metal or something in the area or was just a bad one, who knows. But I have another new one in hand now for when it does fall apart completely, before EPA says we cant buy those anymore either.

Here they are.

CopyofDP066003.jpg

CopyofDP066004.jpg

Last edited:
When I take a pic of my DP on my 066, you will see where it has actually started to come apart at the DP seams have gotten so thin they have opened up and separated completely.

Mine must be, Thin metal or something in the area or was just a bad one, who knows. But I have another new one in hand now for when it does fall apart completely, before EPA says we cant buy those anymore either.

Cool, I was just wondering. Mine have about 20-30 hours on them and look pretty good.

Cool, I was just wondering. Mine have about 20-30 hours on them and look pretty good.

Plus the stihl 066 DP thinning metal and cracking apart the way it did, just makes me think cheap metals IMO. Even the new one just dont feel of quailty metals IMHO.

I was looking for the gold little sticker from overseas with the black lettering. :jester: :jester:

Here is that answer to the other question you ask back a page below.

I have no clue how a pro tree service crews tear up covers, but here is what he stated. All I can figure is the crews must be rough on the equipment.

I found that the covers Scott made for me work as well as the factory DP cover on a 044/ 46 . For some reason my guys trash the DP covers real fast, the factory stock NON-DP ones last forever. We'll see how Scott's hold up to abuse!

Bump

Kevin, any updates on results? any changes or suggestions yet?

With Great Esteem,
Scott.

Scott I was busy today tearing down another 5000 and fixing another stock 5000 runner I just picked up for a parts supply.
Messed with a few huskys, putting stihl rescue handles on them, just in case I head to KY this month.

I laid the wojo 66 and the 2 66 DP stock and modded covers out today, hope to test them this weekend, if time allows. I like the angled cut on the 66 pipe, I might and try the same cut on the 84 cover someday.

I just cant believe the money they get for a stihl 660 DP cover at the dealers $42-$49 was what I was priced, its just a oval hole in the front cover with a vent on the outer cover and a heat shield over that. I could buy the stock cover, make the oval hole with a dremel add screen and put a husky deflector on it and have the same thing alot cheaper. But i wouldn't have the fancy looking heat shield on it for $22 total. But i guess thats why we have choices of what to do with our money in this world. Yours may cost more, but is is built alot better imo, should call them the HD heavy duty wojo covers.

Since nobody noticed I posted the wojo 460 cover with the 2 66 covers in the pic I posted :D .
I just wonder what it was tested on....:rock:

Last edited:
Back