stihl 084 piston and cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezza1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hay guys i got the 084 of a mate today he said it ran but its seized i took to it with acid but no luck i would like to buy a piston and cyl for it if anybody has either or both let me know a price thnaks
Beren

Unfortunately no aftermarket P&C's are available for the 084. OEM is the only way to go and they are very spendy. You'd be lucky to get one from a sponsor like Baileys for less than $500 landed to Australia :(
The 084's have an awesome reputation though.

Unfortunately no aftermarket P&C's are available for the 084. OEM is the only way to go and they are very spendy. You'd be lucky to get one from a sponsor like Baileys for less than $500 landed to Australia :(
The 084's have an awesome reputation though.

if i can get something cheap it would be cool to do some work to it and use her i was thinking about a full restore i have a full set of NOS plastics and a starter

hay guys i got the 084 of a mate today he said it ran but its seized i took to it with acid but no luck i would like to buy a piston and cyl for it if anybody has either or both let me know a price thnaks
Beren

Hi Beren.
Did you end up finding a top end for your 084? I'm now in the same boat basically. My 084 lacked power so I pulled it down and found a chunk of chrome missing just above intake. If you have one spare or know the wherabouts of a cylinder new or in good used condition I sure would appreciate it?
Thanks

Beren

I have rebuilt two 084s with piston kits form HLSupply. You may not need a new cylinder, just the piston and rings. If you can free up the piston with thin lubricants, you might be able to save the cylinder.

Psssst.... I've also heard nasty rumors that an 088 cylinder kit will work fine on an old 084. But, I could be wrong.

I have rebuilt two 084s with piston kits form HLSupply. You may not need a new cylinder, just the piston and rings. If you can free up the piston with thin lubricants, you might be able to save the cylinder.

Psssst.... I've also heard nasty rumors that an 088 cylinder kit will work fine on an old 084. But, I could be wrong.

You'd have to come up with a way to mount the muffler, but I think that could be done. It's not a bolt and go. The cylinder bolt spacing is different and then the muffler issue. There may also be an issue with the stroke length out of the case and what kind of squish you'd end up with.

Shucks

You'd have to come up with a way to mount the muffler, but I think that could be done. It's not a bolt and go. The cylinder bolt spacing is different and then the muffler issue. There may also be an issue with the stroke length out of the case and what kind of squish you'd end up with.
Well, Jacob, to me that's a complete no-go. Far too much machining involved, especially if the cylinder bolt spacings are different. The stroke and muffler problems just salt the wounds. I was unaware that the engine strokes were different as well. That would mean a crankshaft replacement, and that might not even work with the bearings. Looks like a lot of 084s are going to be put out to pasture when the cylinders are gone unless they can be replated and rebored.

Bummer.

How about having the cylinder replated ? I emailed a company in US and asked if they could replate 66mm Contra bore , they said no problem.:msp_thumbup:

There is also a company over here that does good replating work. They do comp bikes mostly but they can do chainsaws also.

Replating on the 084 is probably cheaper and easier than finding new parts.

still after one i did bottom end bearings they cost me $40 each on trade price i thought i may aswell do them while it was apart

Ring Electrosil in Melbourne.
(03) 9435 7029

They do Nikasil plating on MX and GP bike engines.

Not sure if they can do blind cylinders but it never hurts to ask, and if they do, please report back. :D

Back