Stihl 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've been thinking about buying a used 084 AV....As a stump humper, what do you think of this saw??.
All The Best

It's a brute... and great for stumping... Make sure the piston/cylinder is o.k. though... like all big saws, it can get pricey to fix.

Before you buy one try and run it long enough to warm it up. The ignition modules on both that I have tried crapped out after it was warm. They also are not cheap. I would like one but they fetch big dollars even for non-running saws. Good luck.

Good point... but if the guy selling it is the orginal owner (and can prove it by receipt, warranty form or registration), the ignitions have a life-time warranty!

I bought a $375 084 from the original owner. Needed a carb rebuild, but runs great! They are out there. I second Lake, It is a brute!

Folks around here want $400-$500 for complete(minus bar and chain) parts machines because they are "rare". I smile and hand them back the "rare" and expensive parts machine. One day I will add one to the collection but I am sure that mine will not be "rare".

Thanks for all your replies,this time I showed great control,..chainsaw lust and all!!, and held off buying as he wanted a grand for this saw I must say thought it did look good, but on looking closely he also had a wrecker as well???so I would say he has built one from the two??There will be more.Thanks again
All The Best

Hey a-lopper,
I didn't,but was temped..thats a grand AU so its more US we,me and my son thought about six tops,I generally shop for a while to get to know the market so when the rite saw appears at the rite price SCOOP it's gone!.
All The Best

Back