Stihl 2 in 1 Possible Design Flaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmanmi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but it seems like one of the round files is locked in place and the other rotates freely when sharpening causing the cutters to be uneven. I hardly ever use my bench sharpener anymore and use the 2 in 1 for the life of a chain. I know some of it could be the way I file, left side vs right side but I noticed this a long time ago and adjusted my filing technique.

I liked my 2in1 for a while but I think tweeked it with uneven pressure doing left to right cutters. I get way better results freehand with a progressive gauge for the rakers but the 2in1 was faster for sure.

And using it made me more consistent with angles and pressure freehand filling so I think it’s a good tool to try for anyone.

I discovered this accidentally, use an older file as it will get loaded up with plastic. Chuck the file into a drill. Go gentle and take only a little bit at a time and take a little bit of material out of the two in one where the file fits. Put your file back and see if it can spin. I like mine to be able to spin lightly. Then when I end a stroke and reset the file sometimes moves to a different spot by rotating, or I rotate it with my fingers between a pass. Go easy, you can’t put plastic back. Think about it for a moment. Hope that helps. I do this as it’s less likely to get worn spots in the files, though it still happens.

Even after getting to be pretty good filing freehand, I converted to the 2-in-1 and have been using it exclusively for 5 or 6 yrs. or more (can't remember when I started). I have several, one Pferd (7/32 file) and 2 Stihl models (13/64 and whatever size I have for my 346xp saw with .325 chain). Yes, it seems they can be tricky. I sometimes have to use pliers to spin a file, or remove it and re-insert. Regardless, it's a great tool. I've had neighbors, colleagues on the fire dept, that I've handed a saw to use while on a community job, who cannot get over how sharp and fast cutting my saws are. (Granted, most of these guys are weekend warrior type, not pro sawyers, but all the same . . . )

Because we are in a pine forest, all conifer wood, when sharpening for our native trees I usually put a more aggressive angle on my saw teeth, and take an additional swipe or two with a flat file off the rakers. Regardless, the 2-in-1 is my go-to. I got rid of the grinder I had after it gathered dust for a number of years.

The thought just occurred to me--has anyone tried a dab of penetrating oil on the file to lube it inside the 2-in-1? (Myself, I haven't used wd-40 in years, I prefer Kroil.)

Even after getting to be pretty good filing freehand, I converted to the 2-in-1 and have been using it exclusively for 5 or 6 yrs. or more (can't remember when I started). I have several, one Pferd (7/32 file) and 2 Stihl models (13/64 and whatever size I have for my 346xp saw with .325 chain). Yes, it seems they can be tricky. I sometimes have to use pliers to spin a file, or remove it and re-insert. Regardless, it's a great tool. I've had neighbors, colleagues on the fire dept, that I've handed a saw to use while on a community job, who cannot get over how sharp and fast cutting my saws are. (Granted, most of these guys are weekend warrior type, not pro sawyers, but all the same . . . )

Because we are in a pine forest, all conifer wood, when sharpening for our native trees I usually put a more aggressive angle on my saw teeth, and take an additional swipe or two with a flat file off the rakers. Regardless, the 2-in-1 is my go-to. I got rid of the grinder I had after it gathered dust for a number of years.

The thought just occurred to me--has anyone tried a dab of penetrating oil on the file to lube it inside the 2-in-1? (Myself, I haven't used wd-40 in years, I prefer Kroil.)
To help the file spin? Oil?

I started out filing by hand and got Givin one of these , wasn't sold on it until I took the flat file out . Now it works good! I use a brass brush to clean the file every couple of teeth since I can't tap it like a normal one.

I have one without the flat file in it too.
On certain semi chisel chains the flat file was taking way too much off the depth gauges.
I like it for touch ups in the woods, it's very easy to use in spots where you cant hold the saw in something.

Latest posts

Back