Anyone modify 2 in 1 file guide for full skip chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jovol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone tried doing that, or seen a 2 in 1 product for full skip? I really enjoy the convenience of hitting the cutters and rakers simultaneously. I run full skip on my cs7310 with a 28" bar, partially because I end up nipping dirt around the sawmill often and it's fewer teeth to sharpen. I'd like to keep running full skip, and also be able to use a 2 in 1. Any advice?

You could make a piece of steel of wood the height of a cutter to set on the chain where the cutter should be so you can use the 2 in 1.
If it went from one cutter to the next and had a grove in the bottom of it that fit tight on the chain, it should stay in place all right.

No reason to make one. Learn to file free hand. That’s the best way anyways. The best place for a file guide is the trash can. I will say the raker gauge is still good to have though.

Anyone tried doing that, or seen a 2 in 1 product for full skip? I really enjoy the convenience of hitting the cutters and rakers simultaneously. I run full skip on my cs7310 with a 28" bar, partially because I end up nipping dirt around the sawmill often and it's fewer teeth to sharpen. I'd like to keep running full skip, and also be able to use a 2 in 1. Any advice?
In truth, Stihl doesn't make a product like this because the demand is low. The only people who mess with skip chains are pros and enthusiasts for the most part. Those people tend to know how to deal with files and sharpen in a traditional manner usually.

Are there people who would appreciate a 2 in 1 for skip chains? Sure! However, Stihl has crunched the numbers and determined there's not enough demand to make it worth the hassle.

I have used my 2in1 on the same 28” skip tooth. It simply runs the rakers lower when doing this. Makes the chain extra grabby.

In the soft woods and alder my 261 has no problem with the lower rakers. In birch it starts to bog down when the saw is loaded to much.

I found the 2in1 to be a bit of a crutch and have moved to a traditional fine and raker guide as I got more experienced. They work well for beginners trying to learn a sharpen a chain.

Not a matter of knowing how to file free-hand, just a convenience and time saver in the field or during a busy day around the mill. Appreciate the responses, now I'll stop searching for a 2n1 that can do a skip chain.,

I have used my 2in1 on the same 28” skip tooth. It simply runs the rakers lower when doing this. Makes the chain extra grabby.

In the soft woods and alder my 261 has no problem with the lower rakers. In birch it starts to bog down when the saw is loaded to much.

I found the 2in1 to be a bit of a crutch and have moved to a traditional fine and raker guide as I got more experienced. They work well for beginners trying to learn a sharpen a chain.
These 2 in 1 devices give crappy results and tend to lead to rakers that are way to low.
For someone wanting to learn to file a Husky Roller guide is the best way to start IMO.

I have a 2 in1 sharpener, I like it for when I have to sharpen the chain when im in the woods with the atv and dont have much to set the saw on. I can do a fairly good job with the 2 in 1 without something to hold the saw well and I dont even need to pay attention.

These 2 in 1 devices give crappy results and tend to lead to rakers that are way to low.
For someone wanting to learn to file a Husky Roller guide is the best way to start IMO.
Have you tried a new Stihl 2 in 1? They actually work pretty damn well when used correctly. The results with mine gave me a chain that performed just like new.

If you use the wrong angle or grind in both directions with one then yes- it won't work well. However, when I follow the instructions and make 4-5 passes my Husky chain is a good as new.

Have you tried a new Stihl 2 in 1? They actually work pretty damn well when used correctly. The results with mine gave me a chain that performed just like new.

If you use the wrong angle or grind in both directions with one then yes- it won't work well. However, when I follow the instructions and make 4-5 passes my Husky chain is a good as new.
I used the Pferd version. They are identical as Pferd makes them for Stihl.
I disagree with your assessment completely.
If you must use a Gizmo to file the Husky or Stihl roller guides work much better.

I used the Pferd version. They are identical as Pferd makes them for Stihl.
I disagree with your assessment completely.
If you must use a Gizmo to file the Husky or Stihl roller guides work much better.
Was it new or used? I have a relative with a 2 in 1 that was ruined and wouldn't sharpen squat from misuse.

I think Todd at Project Farm did a great objective analysis on some common sharpeners and the Stihl 2 in 1 did very well:

I ran into this issue as well. I had decent luck by using the 2-in-1, but rather than having it guide against 2 teeth, I let it ride against the tooth to the rear so that I had a little help, and then I eyeballed the file against the tooth to make sure it was about the right depth.

The Pferd files are more coarse than the Oregon files, based on how much resistance I feel between the two. I like the fast cutting from the Pferd, but it's a workout.

Latest posts

Back