Stihl 361 muffler mod how to.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squatch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve done a few searches and can’t find what I’m looking for. I want to modify the muffler on my 361 to get more power, and to keep things cooler. I love what a duel port did for my 660, but having never modified a muffler I’d like to see how some have successfully done theirs. I’m comfortable with the carb retune, it’s just the what and where to modify that I’d like some guidance on.

Heat the crimp with a torch and pry it open with a flathead.
5d929dd945898c57fd61b8a4d58871fb.jpg

Carefully drill out the 4 spot welds as shown below.
2d1c5663f5fdb26f4ecccac353f5ea57.jpg

Grind the outlet bigger, reassemble and hammer the crimp back closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lakeside53/Andy did a nice mod a few years back by adding a 2nd port using a piece of tubing and a spark arresstor screen from a stihl blower. The thread is still there but the pictures got lost.
Should be able to find it with a search.

Lakeside53/Andy did a nice mod a few years back by adding a 2nd port using a piece of tubing and a spark arresstor screen from a stihl blower. The thread is still there but the pictures got lost.
Should be able to find it with a search.

I did Lakeside/Andy's mod and it worked great on my 361.

DSC_3013_Medium.jpg

But unlike Lakeside, I didn't heat and uncrimp the muffler. I just drilled the hole to shape and brazed the pipe onto the outside with a braze fillet.

361_chainsaw_muffler_mod_1.jpg

For the screen, Lakeside wrote (12 yrs or so ago):

14mm version (BR420 etc blower)
Screen - 4203 141 9005 $5.56
Clip - 4203 141 6600 $2.00

16mm version (TS 400 Cut-off saw)
Screen - 4223 141 9000 $4.25
Clip - 4223 141 6600 $3.25

How did you get the metal shavings out of the muffler?

How did you get the metal shavings out of the muffler?

Rinsed it out first. Hit it with a compressor and finally used a shop vac until I was confident they were gone. I ran it a full day so it would seem it worked.

Lakeside Andy was a great resource and I learned lots of cool stuff from him. I did the muffler mod on my 361 as he instructed. To bad he got tired of all the none sense and left. I guess he just got burned out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did Lakeside/Andy's mod and it worked great on my 361.

DSC_3013_Medium.jpg

But unlike Lakeside, I didn't heat and uncrimp the muffler. I just drilled the hole to shape and brazed the pipe onto the outside with a braze fillet.

361_chainsaw_muffler_mod_1.jpg

For the screen, Lakeside wrote (12 yrs or so ago):

14mm version (BR420 etc blower)
Screen - 4203 141 9005 $5.56
Clip - 4203 141 6600 $2.00

16mm version (TS 400 Cut-off saw)
Screen - 4223 141 9000 $4.25
Clip - 4223 141 6600 $3.25

Andy was I gem, all who knew him miss him.

Thanks for the pictures. We lost a lot when the site crashed. I tried to rebuild some of my old posts/threads but lot of the picture are NLA from my old computers

I tried to rebuild some of my old posts/threads but lot of the picture are NLA from my old computers

Yeah, it looks like I have all of Andy's original pics in an Apple Safari .webarchive file, but since I dumped Apple/MacOS a few years back and went to Linux, I can't access those .webarchive files anymore, surprisingly... Linux typically eats Apple's lunch in the "capabilities" department (and I'm sure I could find a workaround if I bothered to spend the time) but in this case, for the time being, it looks like a no-go.

Latest posts

Back