Stihl 361 vs. Husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon not sure on the wrenchs but you better of started at a real young age cause I know I did,
On the crankcase did they not teach you anything on crankcase ratios when you where in school cause if they did you should know the answer on why I like the 359 crank better and as far as the porting goes you port the motor to what wants not what you think it should have.

ken thanks for the pics.

I'm really learning alot on this thread. But I am still confused, I've got a brand new 359 and a 357 missing enough parts that I don't think its worth sinking the money into (ignition, oiler, clutch, muffler.) the 357 has a good jug piston lower end flywheel, chassis and carb. I was hoping to save a little cake by putting the 357 jug and piston on the 359 and modding the muffler and essentially having a 357 in 359 clothing. so I guess I'm confused, would swapping the parts with out modding them give me 357 performance or would I have to tear both saws down to give the saw a capped crank. Obviously the easiest answer is to have Ed mod the 359 but I had to beg my wife to get a new saw to begin with I don't think she would go for it needing to be modded right now. Also if cut 10-20 cords with the 359 with just a muffler mod can it be ported later and how much can I cut before its not worth modding.

Thanks
Lucky

jokers said:
Sawtroll,
The 361 and 357 are comparable when stock, just as you would expect from reading the specs. They are both more powerful than a stock 359, no surprise there.

Thank you Jokers;

Exactly the statement that I wanted you to put in plain text, as this fact was blurred by all the talk about modified saws in the other posts..... :angel:

It might not be obvious to everyone who reads this tread.

Anyway; If I had been on your side of the pond, I am pretty sure that I had chosen to buy the modified 359 in this case.

Over here chainsaws are very expencive compared to your standard. :angry:
The 359 cost more than the MS361, and the 357xp cost a lot more.
The Jreds are usually slightly less than the Huskys, but pretty close.

Last edited:
asb151 said:
...... Yes, $200 is a fair amount of money but a few months from now you won't remember the difference. .....
Agreed!

.....but if he gets another saw than the one he really wanted, he will surely not forget that.

bwalker said:
One thing to consider is the fact that the 359 has a outboard clutch, which IMO is a pain in the butt to deal with.
I think that was a trade-off Husky made to be able to make the slim and nimble saw bodys they brag about - and which has some merit.

Whether the trade-off was worth it is up to everyone to decide.....

Troll, I would think if any thing the outbaord clutch would be to the detrimant of making a slim and agile saw.
I would almost bet they used tooling from a previous model in order to save $$ and where thus stuck with the outboard clutch.

Ben, you may of course be right - but none of the smaller (less than 60 cc) Swedish made Huskys introduced from 1999 until today share any major parts with older models.

At that point Husky had introduced inboard cluch on the 371 series of saws.

Last edited:
There can be some patent problems too. Someone should pay something to someone for the evry saw with inboard cluch produced ;)

Latest posts

Back