Stihl 36rslk preset question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Stihl 36RSLFK chain preset question

I am probably going to feel really stupid, but I am puzzled tonight.

Today I received a reel of stihl 36RSLFK (.063 3/8 square ground full skip) and was spinning up some 114 dl chains for my 36 inch bars and I found that for each pack of presets and ties, there were two sizes of presets. That is, the rivets on half were bigger than the other.

So for each chain that I was splicing back together from the reel, only half the presets fit into the hole, the other half were too big.

Have I been unaware of something for years? I have bought and spun bunches of chains, and was under the impression that each box only contained presets of the same exact sizes of rivets, not two. But since each pack contained half of one size and half of another size, I fear for my sanity.

I don't know which is more embarrasing, asking AS or calling Madsens in the morning. It isn't a problem for now, because I just used two of the ones that fit, but that leaves me with the confusing about the presets that won't go through the hole on the drive link. Huh?

BTW, I am going to take shots of the RSL cutter and Oregon CL and Oregon CLX cutters to compare. I can tell you so far that the Oregon cutters look like they need sharpening when new, while both reels of Stihl square I recently bought look pretty sharp. Maybe not as sharp as after they've been on my Pro Sharp, but I use them before sharpening just fine.

But I am having some sort of brain fart on the preset thing. Guess I need some sleep....

Last edited:
Looking at the presets more carefully, one size says g1 the other just the punched dot. So I figure there is some sense to all this. But when I look at the chain itself, there seems to be no pattern to the g1 s and punched dot preset order. Sometimes there is three dot presets in a row, sometimes one of the three (no particular pattern) will be a g1.

I'm probably going to feel foolish in the morning, but for right now I am stumped. Dag blame it, I am not even as smart as a chainsaw chain tonight.....

I have the feeling it is like the old "hey, half of these nails have the heads on the wrong end!" kind of thing, but I am not getting it.

Lakeside53, you out there?

Last edited:
I'm here... We punch up about 6-7000 feet of chain a year, about half of it rslfk or similar... never have noticed that...

Madsens selling you stihl chain mail order?

Lakeside53 said:
I'm here... We punch up about 6-7000 feet of chain a year, about half of it rslfk or similar... never have noticed that...

Whew, that's a relief. Must have been a mistake in either the packing or perhaps manufacturing on the presets. I have never noticed anything like this even in the reel of33RSLK (3/8, .050, square, full comp) I bought a couple months ago. But when I opened the other packs of presets and ties last night and each pack was exactly half of each size of preset rivet it really threw me.

As far as I know, Madsens does not sell any Stihl stuff online. I live pretty close to Madsens, and sometimes go there and sometimes I call them and have them mail me stuff. I usually try to get there in person, as I really enjoy those folks. The local Stihl dealers I have gone to won't hardly give me the time of day because I am such a small customer. And often the guys up front are not very knowledgable.

And I have had really good experience for years dealing with Baileys, but since Sam and ALan and Mike and the crew at Madsens sell both Husky and Stihl and let me run saws before I buy and are really generous with their time I have bought all my last saws there except for my 7900. They make you feel like family.

I like saving money online as well as the next guy, but in general I try to support local dealers and in the case of the 7900 it was like pulling teeth and it cost me more money but I bought the saw locally. Dolmar has a long ways to go on that still.

BTW, Your expertise and your willingness to share your experience is fantastic and invaluable. I see you are from Woodinville, so we are "neighbors" as I live just east of Renton.

Thanks much. Bill

Last edited:
The first packs of preset and ties had even number of each size rivets.

I just opened the other packs and one pack had only one preset that would fit and the last pack had none.

By coincidence the first two packs had an even number of each size and that is what really threw me. Looks more now like it is some sort of random packing or manufacturing issue....

I just talked to Ed at Madsens and he figures that Stihl must have mixed in some .404 presets in by accident. They are going to shoot me some replacement 3/8 ths.

Now that I look closely at the bigger presets they do seem a touch longer and it makes sense that they are .404. I have never run .404 so somehow that never occurred to me.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:

Lakeside,

Do you work for a dealer up there in Woodinville, or on your own?

My Stihls (knock on wood) are running great (even my 220 MSE) but a local saw guy of your caliber is something to keep in mind if I ever need work.

Bill

B_Turner said:
Lakeside,

Do you work for a dealer up there in Woodinville, or on your own?

My Stihls (knock on wood) are running great (even my 220 MSE) but a local saw guy of your caliber is something to keep in mind if I ever need work.

Bill

BOTH:D

I've rebuilt a E20 (same as 220) and still own it!

PM me if you ever need help.

Lakeside53 said:
BOTH:D

I've rebuilt a E20 (same as 220) and still own it!

PM me if you ever need help.

Thanks I will.

The MSE220 is the only electric I have ever used that isn't a toy. Use it alot for quick work when I don't want the stink and noise of gas saw. Currently run a 20 inch .325 20NK bar chain and when sharp pulls it okay. Kind of wish it were 220v so I could run a longer chord, but 120v will travel better I guess.

Latest posts

Back