Stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd pass on another 046... especially if the first 046 is in great condition.

did the exact same thing. scored a MS 460 after realizing how much I like 046.

what a mistake, 460 ended up sitting while 046 did the job.
ended up selling the MS460 and keeping my 046.

did the exact same thing with my 026. purchased a 260 thinking it'd be an improvement. ended up selling the 260, keeping the 026.

My 046 is my favorite saw. Next saw I plan on purchasing is another 046. Run a 24" bar on it.

Last edited:
You wont be disapointed my first saw was an 046 with 20" b&c. Good power for the weight and I still use it quite a bit once I get the tree to the ground. For a long time it was my only saw. But after hanging around here for a while I ended up with an 066 too.

+3 I run mine with the 28" all the time but bought it with the 18" bar as well. I bought it after my 088 conked out on me and have been totally impressed with the power and balance. Took my time and got a new piston and jug for the 88 on e-bay and only break it out now when I need the 30" or the big 48" bar. The 460 will not disappoint!

I prefer a 044 or 440 without a decomp over the 046/460's. They are more nimble as an all around saw imo.

used a 460 today for the first time....all our saws are 190t's, 200t's stihl's and johnny red 2065's ,2175's,, and 2 2195's... both 2195 saws are in the shop...1 saw was there for a month,, still not fixed , when they dropped off the other one!!! johnny red guy is useless... boss wants to go over to all stihls...boss went out and bought a 460 28 bar, full comp chain... i was really impressed !!!!! i've used 440's and 660's before .. i think i'd save the money, and just rely on the 460... jmho

I went to get the 460 w/ a 25"er on it yesterday and saw a 441 there which I really liked. What do you think of the 441? What size bar would be good, I've got a couple 390s and am going to sell 1 and upgrade to a little larger saw/bar combo.

20", 24", and 32"(semi skip), DP cover, and even milling 24" oak, just flat out performs well.
Getting a second dawg on it is the last thing to make it just right.

You won't be disappointed.

get the 460

love the ms460. i have a 20" bar, good for me but will add a bigger bar in future for old growth stuff, not that theres much of that left. a great saw.

Some dealers will sell you a saw with any size bar for the same price.( my dealer does) So get the biggest bar you will use (32" for me). Then pick up a cheap 20" bar for all around use...

I've been using a 460 for two years now and I love it. Light enough to work with all day but lots of juice when you have to buck up a lot of harwood. Before that I was using the 038. Good saw, but always wanted a bit more oomph. The 460 magnum has all the oomph I need for the work we do in these parts. I use a 20" bar. Good all round choice for my work. I'm going to get a 28" bar for standby, but the 20" gives adequate reach for the day to day stuff and is short enough to be handy and not feel unwieldy.

Great saw!

My baby when it was new. :greenchainsaw:
stihlsaw1002.jpg

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on a fair price for a new in the box MS460 with 28" bar? I have a line on one and the guy wants me to make an offer but I don't want to insult him with too low an offer. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back