• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange...I know this is an old thread (which adds to the confusion) but I just bought a used 661 which was originally purchased new in NY in Sep of 2016. The serial number is 177 735 xxx. So, does this mean that my saw was manufactured in 2014, recalled from an EU market, sent back to Stihl, refitted, mailed to the States, sat on a shelf for 2 years, and then purchased at the end of 2016?

The question is, what happens to all of those serial numbered models? Did it just take 2 years for Stihl to refit this saw until it finally hit the shelf in an Agway in upstate NY? Are there any telling differences between the first run saws and the newer manufactured saws or was all of the refit all internal? I know that a mysterious refit of the 362 took place and you can clearly see the differences. In other words, can you look at a "today" built 661 and tell the difference between a "refitted/recalled" saw?

The saw runs great so far and I feel a little better knowing that it was sold by a dealer in 2016 instead of 2014. So, I am assuming, if it was in fact a first production run saw, that coming through a dealer means it was refitted.

Latest posts

Back